Occasional Contributor

I also enjoyed The Nightingale very much.  It's totally different and much darker than Kristin Hannah's other books.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the feedback on THE NIGHTENGALE. I still have it on my ereader. I may go back but, to be honest, probably not. If it hasn't grabbed me by page 75, it will be hard to return if there is something better in the wings. LM
Honored Contributor

I just finished this-

Cover of Lethal

I thought that it was a bit predictable (and long) in parts but overall not bad for "summer" reading.

Here is the description:

Spoiler

When her four year old daughter informs her a sick man is in their yard, Honor Gillette rushes out to help him. But that "sick" man turns out to be Lee Coburn, the man accused of murdering seven people the night before. Dangerous, desperate, and armed, he promises Honor that she and her daughter won't be hurt as long as she does everything he asks. She has no choice but to accept him at his word.

But Honor soon discovers that even those close to her can't be trusted. Coburn claims that her beloved late husband possessed something extremely valuable that places Honor and her daughter in grave danger. Coburn is there to retrieve it -- at any cost. From FBI offices in Washington, D.C., to a rundown shrimp boat in coastal Louisiana, Coburn and Honor run for their lives from the very people sworn to protect them, and unravel a web of corruption and depravity that threatens not only them, but the fabric of our society.

Honored Contributor

I have read other books by this author, but this didn't do much for me.  I read about 30% and then decided to return it.

Cover of The Frumious Bandersnatch

Here is the description:

Spoiler

It should have been the night that launched a new pop idol. Tamar Valparaiso is young and beautiful, with the body and voice of an angel, and the stage is set for her to launch her debut album, Bandersnatch, on a luxury yacht in the heart of the city. But halfway through her performance, while the partygoers look on helplessly, masked men drag Tamar off the stage and into a waiting speedboat.

Detective Steve Carella is just showing up for the graveyard shift when news of the kidnapping comes in. Working disjointedly with a Joint Task Force that calls itself "The Squad," Carella and the men and women of the Eight-Seven must find Tamar before time -- or indeed her very life -- runs out.

In this brilliant look at the music industry, Ed McBain once again combines his mastery of the form with the fast-paced dialogue and intricate plotting that have become his signature.

Honored Contributor

I've read some good books by Sandra Brown.  I REALLY like books by Linda Howard especially her books about the psychics.

Honored Contributor

Has anyone read this?

The Good Girl.png

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Has anyone read this?

The Good Girl.png

SydneyH, I haven't read it but it has good reviews on Amazon - 4 out of 5 stars with over 1,100 reviews.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

I had a hard time picking out a book to read today, I'm not sure what I'm in the mood to read.

I settled for The Target by David Baldacci. 

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Started this morning and have about 80 pages left.  It is o.k. and I am glad to finally read it but........................... nothing ever is as good as the original/first.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@insomniac wrote:

Kent Haruf's books are perfect. I can't believe he's gone.

I discovered Billy Letts books just about a year ago, and now she's gone. She didn't write that many, but I often think of her characters. It makes me so sad to know there will be no more. What a talent. Thanks, lori!

You're quite welcome, Jud.  And thanks to you I have my first Maeve Binchy book waiting on my bookcase.    If you haven't read Kent Haruf, you want to, in order.  What everyone says is true, his characters climb into your heart and live there.