Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

@SydneyH wrote:

Just started this one, don't think I've read this author before but I'm a new subscriber to Scribd.com and I'm reading as much as I can in my waking hours, lol.

left.png

@SydneyH

I read this and enjoyed it.  It's an interesting phenomenon- one I hadn't heard of before.  

Honored Contributor

I forgot that I read this one too-

It's one of those books that I'm glad I didn't pay for, but I didn't think it was terrible. In fact, some parts (the folksy ones) were quite witty.   Some parts are a bit darker and slow than what I'm used to.

Here is the description:

Spoiler

The Bean Trees is bestselling author Barbara Kingsolver’s first novel, now widely regarded as a modern classic. It is the charming, engrossing tale of rural Kentucky native Taylor Greer, who only wants to get away from her roots and avoid getting pregnant. She succeeds, but inherits a 3-year-old native-American little girl named Turtle along the way, and together, from Oklahoma to Tucson, Arizona, half-Cherokee Taylor and her charge search for a new life in the West.

Written with humor and pathos, this highly praised novel focuses on love and friendship, abandonment and belonging as Taylor, out of money and seemingly out of options, settles in dusty Tucson and begins working at Jesus Is Lord Used Tires while trying to make a life for herself and Turtle. 

The author of such bestsellers as The Lacuna, The Poinsonwood Bible, and Flight Behavior, Barbara Kingsolver has been hailed for her striking imagery and clear dialogue, and this is the novel that kicked off her remarkable literary career.

Trusted Contributor
I am surprised to hear some didn't care for this book. I read it and would highly recommend it. It is nothing like the authors other books.
Respected Contributor

I'm reading The Lola Quartet, another early book by Emily St. John Mandel.  I've praised her so highly on previous books, and I'm finding this one a little tedious.

I'm also reading the 2nd in the Grantchester Mysteries, Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night (James Runcie).  It's not as interesting as the first one.

I finished Dead Water (Ann Cleves) the 5th in the Shetland Mysteries.  I'm not sure why I keep reading these, probably for the setting.  The characters are not very well developed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:
I am about 70 pages into THE NIGHTENGALE by Kristen Hannah. I am finding it a bit slow and predictable. Should I keep going? So many good books on my list ... TIA. LM.

Oh, darn. I have been waiting for my hold to come in at the library. Let me know if you keep going or not. I think her books are just OK but this one sounded like what I was looking for.

I just finished The Nightingale. I agee that Kristin Hannah's books are mostly "just OK" (although I do enjoy reading them) and this one in particular starts out slowly. My reccomendation is to hang in there because it gets much, much better as it goes along. 

It is definitely a tribute to the sacrifices that women made during the war but it is also a beautiful story. There are some unexpected twists, some are happy and some will make you cry. I hope those of you have given up on it will take a second look. I think you will find it a worthwhile read. 

Valued Contributor

I enjoyed that book. I hope you will finish it.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:
I am about 70 pages into THE NIGHTENGALE by Kristen Hannah. I am finding it a bit slow and predictable. Should I keep going? So many good books on my list ... TIA. LM.

Oh, darn. I have been waiting for my hold to come in at the library. Let me know if you keep going or not. I think her books are just OK but this one sounded like what I was looking for.

I just finished The Nightingale. I agee that Kristin Hannah's books are mostly "just OK" (although I do enjoy reading them) and this one in particular starts out slowly. My reccomendation is to hang in there because it gets much, much better as it goes along. 

It is definitely a tribute to the sacrifices that women made during the war but it is also a beautiful story. There are some unexpected twists, some are happy and some will make you cry. I hope those of you have given up on it will take a second look. I think you will find it a worthwhile read. 

Well, how nice of you to tell me. I will indeed 'keep going'. That is if my hold ever comes in-any day now, any day. Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: The Nightingale

[ Edited ]

@itsmetoo wrote:
I am surprised to hear some didn't care for this book. I read it and would highly recommend it. It is nothing like the authors other books.

Thank you for your input - I'm definitely going to try it again.

Super Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

Well, how nice of you to tell me. I will indeed 'keep going'. That is if my hold ever comes in-any day now, any day. Thanks

Thank you for your thoughts - I'm giving it another chance - when It's my turn at the Library - I was the person who recommended they buy the E-version and then I didn't even finish it!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished TELL THE WOLVES Ï'M HOME - oh my goodness - what an emotional book for me - I cried my way through the last six chapters - it was so sweet - I cried for what I read but have never been lucky enough to experience.  I don't want to give anything away but if you haven't read it I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.  Gave it 5 stars at GOODREADS and just ordered a hardback copy for me - wanted to have the REAL BOOK in my hands.