Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

@Colinka wrote:

Loving "Letters to the Lost" by Iona Grey.  Absolutely cannot put it down.  Reminds me of Rosamund Pilcher and Maeve Binchy.  Heartwarming story.

Some of my favorite books of all time have been by Maeve Binchy and Rosamund Pilcher! If I had to choose one by each author they would be "Scarlett Feather" and "Winter Solstice," so reading your post sent me directly to the library to place a hold on "Letters to the Lost." Thanks for this post, I'm looking forward to getting this one. 

Valued Contributor

Just finished this book and it had me in tears, A very interesting and satisfying love story. I hope you like it.  I couldn't put it down!

I work in a library, so have access to many of the newest titles.  I am going to recommend this one to all of my friends and patrons.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Colinka wrote:

Loving "Letters to the Lost" by Iona Grey.  Absolutely cannot put it down.  Reminds me of Rosamund Pilcher and Maeve Binchy.  Heartwarming story.

Some of my favorite books of all time have been by Maeve Binchy and Rosamund Pilcher! If I had to choose one by each author they would be "Scarlett Feather" and "Winter Solstice," so reading your post sent me directly to the library to place a hold on "Letters to the Lost." Thanks for this post, I'm looking forward to getting this one. 

So did I!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished LITTLE FACE by Sophie Hannah. It was as good as THE TRUTH TELLER'S LIE. A dark mystery with many layers and twists and turns. I will definitely read more by her - these two books have been intense. They are part of her series called SPILLING CID or....ZAILER AND WATERHOUSE. Sort of confusing to figure the order of the series since some of the books were named differently when originally published.

Super Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:
I am about 70 pages into THE NIGHTENGALE by Kristen Hannah. I am finding it a bit slow and predictable. Should I keep going? So many good books on my list ... TIA. LM.

Hi Lilysmom:

Funny you should bring this up - I saw really excellent reviews on this book on Goodreads so decided to try it.  I ended up putting the bookmark in it - don't know what page I stopped on.  I thought the same as you - actually I thought it was kind of boring. I returned it to the Library and since then the reviews have gotten even stronger.  So I put myself back on the list to borrow it and thought I have to try this again - maybe I didn't read far enough. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think her books have been primarily light ROMANCE novels and maybe that's why I didn't find The Nightengale too interesting.  Are you still reading it?

Super Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

Just recommended my Library purchase the e-version - hopefully they will - sounds like a wonderful book!

Esteemed Contributor

SAGAL, re The Nightengale, no I didn't go back to it. It's still on my ereader but I have started something else. Interested to hear what others say as well. Maybe it gets better. There are so many books on my list that I am looking forward to. I used to keep reading until the end but I don't anymore. LM
Honored Contributor

Blind Spot: A Jesse Stone Novel

I just finished this book.

It's the first in the series that I've read under the new author.  I liked it, although some reviewers are disappointed in the style of the ghost writer.

Here is the description:

Spoiler
Police Chief Jesse Stone is back in the remarkable new installment of the New York Times–bestselling series.

It’s been a long time since Jesse Stone left L.A., and still longer since the tragic injury that ruined his chances for a major league baseball career. When Jesse is invited to a reunion of his old Triple-A team at a hip New York city hotel, he is forced to grapple with his memories and regrets over what might have been.

Jesse left more behind him than unresolved feelings about the play that ended his baseball career. The darkly sensuous Kayla, his former girlfriend and current wife of an old teammate is there in New York, too. As is Kayla’s friend, Dee, an otherworldly beauty with secret regrets of her own. But Jesse’s time at the reunion is cut short when, in Paradise, a young woman is found murdered and her boyfriend, a son of one of the town’s most prominent families, is missing and presumed kidnapped.

Though seemingly coincidental, there is a connection between the reunion and the crimes back in Paradise. As Jesse, Molly, and Suit hunt for the killer and for the missing son, it becomes clear that one of Jesse’s old teammates is intimately involved in the crimes. That there are deadly forces working below the surface and just beyond the edge of their vision. Sometimes, that’s where the danger comes from, and where real evil lurks. Not out in the light—but in your blind spot.
Honored Contributor

I finished Bad Feminist over the weekend. I really enjoyed this book of essays by Roxanne Gay. Her essay about competitive Scrabble made me a laugh a lot.

I also started reading (Kindle) Inferno, by Dan Brown. I bought it when it first came out and it just kept getting pushed down my list. But I am looking forward to reading about what happens to Robert Langdon next.

I started listening (Audible) to How to Be a Woman, by Caitlyn Moran. I'm not sure how I feel about this memoir yet. I am hoping it gets better when she gets out of her teen years.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
I recently read this too and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the first one of his books I've read. So simply written but so good it has stayed with me.

Edited to add: Sorry, I thought I was quoting sunala - I still havent figured out these boards. I am referring to OUR SOULS AT NIGHT. Loved it.