Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

[ Edited ]

@Sagal wrote:
Tried reading BETTYVILLE but had to bookmark it. My mother has advanced Alzheimer's - I take care of her - and I think that is why I had trouble with this book - only got about 75 pages read - maybe later. I'm on to a book by SOPHIE HANNAH - anyone else read any of her books? Great writer - already have her latest book pre- ordered.

That's a shame-I can very well understand why you didn't want to go any further. I don't believe they used the Alzheimer word, but back then they didn't have a name-except Dementia or just plain old age. She was amazing the way she'd write things down so she wouldn't forget them again, etc. But again, I totally see why you just couldn't read it. She could still play the piano and go out, which I couldn't believe. The thing she mostly did NOT want was for him to help her. 

Super Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Sagal wrote:
Tried reading BETTYVILLE but had to bookmark it. My mother has advanced Alzheimer's - I take care of her - and I think that is why I had trouble with this book - only got about 75 pages read - maybe later. I'm on to a book by SOPHIE HANNAH - anyone else read any of her books? Great writer - already have her latest book pre- ordered.

That's a shame-I can very well understand why you didn't want to go any further. I don't believe they used the Alzheimer word, but back then they didn't have a name-except Dementia or just plain old age. She was amazing the way she'd write things down so she wouldn't forget them again, etc. But again, I totally see why you just couldn't read it. She could still play the piano and go out, which I couldn't believe. The thing she mostly did NOT want was for him to help her. 

I laughed when I was reading the first few pages - seemed very familiar and then I started feeling sad about laughing.  I just think it's not a good time for me to read it.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Someone gave me an old copy of ROSAMUNDE PILCHERs Coming Home,  I read the first couple of pages to please her and then had to finish it, really enjoyed her writing. Then I started a book by her son, ROBIN PILCHER, An Ocean Apart, but cannot get into that. Now reading The Matchmaker by ELIN HILDERBRAND, okay for summer reading but  do not think it as good as some of her others.

Super Contributor

Hi Sunny, 

I've read her other books, too.

Three books I've enjoyed lately are:

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

and

Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum

Ruby

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just started Among the Ten Thousand Things by Julia Pierpoint. So far I like it.

Among the Ten Thousand Things: A Novel

Super Contributor

Just finished THE TRUTH-TELLER'S LIE by Sophie Hannah. Wow, what a book - so many twists and turns - her writing reminds me of Tana French. She has quite a few books out and I've pre-ordered her newest one. Check her out if you like the psychological thrillers!
Super Contributor

I forgot to say that THE TRUTH-TELLER'S LIE is not a "fluffy" mystery - it is dark.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read Aquarium by David Vann and would give it 5 stars. It is not a light read. I recommend getting the hard cover from the library because of the beautiful illustrations.

Aquarium

Honored Contributor

Sagal -- After reading your recommendation, I checked out this author and placed her first book on my library list. She sounds promisingSmiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

I agree about Sophie Hannah, she is an excellent author.