Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

Happy July everyone.  Glad to be starting a new month of reading.

Unfortunately, it didn't start out too well.  I was reading Bettyville by George  Hodgman and enjoying it and only had 200 pages left or so.  The bad news is that I left it on the subway and hopefully someone will turn it in.  I can't take out the book again from another branch since "my copy" is still checked out.  I guess I'll have to go to another library to read it or a bookstore. Man Surprised

Spoiler

Started reading Ingrid Thoft's Identity.

Honored Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@insomniac wrote:

I agree that The Woman Upstairs would be a difficult one to recommend to someone else--unless they were kind of a quirky person (as I am). I did enjoy the book.

Is that the one by Claire Messud?

@Adelina

Yes- that's the author of the book.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

Happy July everyone.  Glad to be starting a new month of reading.

Unfortunately, it didn't start out too well.  I was reading Bettyville by George  Hodgman and enjoying it and only had 200 pages left or so.  The bad news is that I left it on the subway and hopefully someone will turn it in.  I can't take out the book again from another branch since "my copy" is still checked out.  I guess I'll have to go to another library to read it or a bookstore. Man Surprised

Spoiler

Oh, no, that's awful. I pretty much knew how it would end and was glad how it ended. You have to finish it because you've come this far! Isn't he funny? He made me laugh all through it.

Respected Contributor

Judaline, I'll definitely have to find a copy now.  He is a great writer and love his sense of humor.  Now I will probably have to cough up $20 for a lost library book if Metro doesn't contact me re finding the book and other things that were in there.  My first lost/overdue book in my lifetime!

Honored Contributor

@breee wrote:

@lolakimono

I have this book DUST in my stack of books to read. I have been reading her books over the years. 

@breee

I just finished it.  You should definitely DUST it off and have a go. 

Super Contributor

The latest Jackie Kennedy book. I never seem to get tired of reading about her.

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

Judaline, I'll definitely have to find a copy now.  He is a great writer and love his sense of humor.  Now I will probably have to cough up $20 for a lost library book if Metro doesn't contact me re finding the book and other things that were in there.  My first lost/overdue book in my lifetime!

SWEET, it's a miracle that in all these years you've been reading on the train, you never once left it there. So, once in so-many years isn't so bad. Do you have hope that anyone will turn it in? What else did you have in the book? 

I'll be starting Bettyville as soon as I finish Inside the O'Briens, by Lisa Genova, which is excellent so far. Definitely not a happy book, but they can't all have happy endings. 

Have a beautiful July 4th weekend everyone, and thank you Lainey for another month of books! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@daisey10

What are the title/author of your JBK book?

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@insomniac wrote:

I agree that The Woman Upstairs would be a difficult one to recommend to someone else--unless they were kind of a quirky person (as I am). I did enjoy the book.

Is that the one by Claire Messud?

@Adelina

Yes- that's the author of the book.

@lolakimono

@The @ mention worked - I reveived a notification!! Now, I hope mine works to notify you. Fingers crossed.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

I'm a few chapters into THE LAST POLICEMAN so I was happy to see that a few posters here enjoyed it. I like the character and writing style so far.