Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

I'm pretty sure I'm the last person in North America to do so, but I've just finished reading Twilight.  Of course it's by Stephanie Meyer and a work of fiction. And, it wasn't all that bad. I read it because it was free to download on Kindle one day.

I also recently read Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison which is a behind the scenes look at her life during her years at the Playboy mansion and starring on The Girls Next Door. Would I recommend it...hmmmm. Well, it's an easy read and a bit of a guilty pleasure, but yes, I thought it was pretty good. 

I've just cracked open All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr which won the Pulizer this year. It's a work of fiction set during WWII and from the first chapter it looks to be an engrossing but challenging read. Might put it aside until fall!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

@lolakimono

I have this book DUST in my stack of books to read. I have been reading her books over the years. 

Contributor

I've never posted in What Are You Reading, but I just came across you tonight.

I just finished reading In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume. This is her newest book based upon three plane crashes that took place in Elizabeth, NJ in the early 50s. 

The book has only very recently come out - I went to hear her speak at a Barnes and Noble last week and she told all about what prompted her to write this story.

I thought the story was great - a combination love story combined with historical fiction - finished it in two nights.

Trusted Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm the last person in North America to do so, but I've just finished reading Twilight.  Of course it's by Stephanie Meyer and a work of fiction. And, it wasn't all that bad. I read it because it was free to download on Kindle one day.

I also recently read Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison which is a behind the scenes look at her life during her years at the Playboy mansion and starring on The Girls Next Door. Would I recommend it...hmmmm. Well, it's an easy read and a bit of a guilty pleasure, but yes, I thought it was pretty good. 

I've just cracked open All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr which won the Pulizer this year. It's a work of fiction set during WWII and from the first chapter it looks to be an engrossing but challenging read. Might put it aside until fall!

I LOVED that book!

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

@insomniac wrote:

I agree that The Woman Upstairs would be a difficult one to recommend to someone else--unless they were kind of a quirky person (as I am). I did enjoy the book.

Is that the one by Claire Messud?

Trusted Contributor

If you like a good detective story married with science fiction, you may like The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters. This is the first in a trilogy. I just finished #3.

I had the first on my wish list for a while and finally decided to try it out. I like it so much that I went for the other two (plus I had to know how it all ended).

Amazon Blurb:

"Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2012: It’s not often you hear a book described as a pre-apocalyptic police procedural. But in the hands of Ben Winters (Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters), the mash-up of murder mystery and gloomy end-of-world melodrama works perfectly. Detective Hank Palace knows the world will likely be destroyed in six months by the meteor headed toward earth like a bullet. But unlike those who are giving up, quitting jobs, doing drugs, running away, or killing themselves, Palace has a job to do. He’s got a murder to solve. So he keeps plugging away, unwilling to let the looming apocalypse distract him from finding the killer. Palace is an appealingly off-kilter character, more goofball than hard-boiled. So it’s a very good thing that this is the first in a planned trilogy. --Neal Thompson"

Trusted Contributor

I'm reading AMERICAN SNIPER by Chris Kyle.  It's really interesting and has been recommended to me by the Glenn Beck crowd.  It makes the movie more understandable.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Esteemed Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

If you like a good detective story married with science fiction, you may like The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters. This is the first in a trilogy. I just finished #3.

I had the first on my wish list for a while and finally decided to try it out. I like it so much that I went for the other two (plus I had to know how it all ended).

Amazon Blurb:

"Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2012: It’s not often you hear a book described as a pre-apocalyptic police procedural. But in the hands of Ben Winters (Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters), the mash-up of murder mystery and gloomy end-of-world melodrama works perfectly. Detective Hank Palace knows the world will likely be destroyed in six months by the meteor headed toward earth like a bullet. But unlike those who are giving up, quitting jobs, doing drugs, running away, or killing themselves, Palace has a job to do. He’s got a murder to solve. So he keeps plugging away, unwilling to let the looming apocalypse distract him from finding the killer. Palace is an appealingly off-kilter character, more goofball than hard-boiled. So it’s a very good thing that this is the first in a planned trilogy. --Neal Thompson"

Hi Adelina, I read the trilogy last year and I really enjoyed it. I read the first one and had to wait for him to write the second one, and again wait for the third one. Palace was a very likeable character and was sometimes the only sane person in his little world. I enjoyed the suspense of the author's writing, and I wasn't disappointed when I finished the last one. 

Funny thing is, now I can't remember exactly how it ended lol

Can you please tell me in a hidden spoiler? Thanks!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Hi Adelina, I read the trilogy last year and I really enjoyed it. I read the first one and had to wait for him to write the second one, and again wait for the third one. Palace was a very likeable character and was sometimes the only sane person in his little world. I enjoyed the suspense of the author's writing, and I wasn't disappointed when I finished the last one. 

Spoiler
I hope this works because I have never used the Spoiler Tag before..  He sits at the dinner table with the farmer who has sheltered the news from his family, and the farmer's family.... and ...."the end" comes - at least that is implied with the light changing......

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

Amazon Blurb:

Adelina thank you. Now I remember (more or less). I really did enjoy the books. He has written some other books as well but they didn't sound like anything I wanted to read. PS you're the first person I know who has read these books!

Thanks again!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett