Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

I just started Martin Short's autobiography I Must Say and before that it was The Book of Joan by Melissa Rivers.  I am waiting for the Little Couple's book to arrive and will probably read that next.  I seem to be in an autobiography/biography phase.

Trusted Contributor

These are the books I've finished in the past few weeks: 

Death at Wentwater Court - Carola Dunn - First in Cozy mystery series.   Likeable characters and decent plot, sent in the 1920's in England.  Lighthearted style.  Grade: B+

Wish You Were Here - Rita Mae Brown - First in cozy mystery series.  Started off a bit silly, but it grew on me.  Decent characters, setting, and plot, set in the south.  Grade: B+

Smart is the New Rich -  Christine Romans - Non fiction book about personal finances.  Incomplete book, but had interesting, useful sections.  Grade: B+

Why We Buy - Paco Underhill - Non fiction book about merchandizing.  I thought this was going to be a book about the psychology of why an individual shops, but was mistaken.  Grade: C

Death at Bishop's Keep - Robin Paige - First in cozy mystery series.  Very good historical setting in England, enjoyable characters, and good plot.  Grade: A

Meet Julie - Megan MacDonald - an American Girl children's book.  Really liked this story of a girl growing up in San Francisco in the 1970s.  Grade: A

Julie Tells Her Story - Megan MacDonald - an American Girl children's book.  Follow-up to "Meet Julie".  Grade: A-

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I agree that The Woman Upstairs would be a difficult one to recommend to someone else--unless they were kind of a quirky person (as I am). I did enjoy the book.

Honored Contributor

I just finished Golden State by Stephanie Kegan.  It deals with the dynamics that happen within family when a  member commits a major crime.  It is a very good book.   

Contributor

I have just finished reading The Melody Lingers On by Mary Higgins Clark. It was ok, but I did not love it. The characters did not seem to be fully developed to me.
Yesterday I started reading Jane Green's latest, Summer Secrets. It is a story about how a women's life is destroyed by alcoholism and how she rebuilds it. I find that I like Green's lighter books more than those in which she explores more serious subjects. I will to see how this one plays out.
I am still looking for something amazing to take down to the shore with me for my vacation. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Honored Contributor

@cerb wrote:

These are the books I've finished in the past few weeks: 

Death at Wentwater Court - Carola Dunn - First in Cozy mystery series.   Likeable characters and decent plot, sent in the 1920's in England.  Lighthearted style.  Grade: B+

Wish You Were Here - Rita Mae Brown - First in cozy mystery series.  Started off a bit silly, but it grew on me.  Decent characters, setting, and plot, set in the south.  Grade: B+

Smart is the New Rich -  Christine Romans - Non fiction book about personal finances.  Incomplete book, but had interesting, useful sections.  Grade: B+

Why We Buy - Paco Underhill - Non fiction book about merchandizing.  I thought this was going to be a book about the psychology of why an individual shops, but was mistaken.  Grade: C

Death at Bishop's Keep - Robin Paige - First in cozy mystery series.  Very good historical setting in England, enjoyable characters, and good plot.  Grade: A

Meet Julie - Megan MacDonald - an American Girl children's book.  Really liked this story of a girl growing up in San Francisco in the 1970s.  Grade: A

Julie Tells Her Story - Megan MacDonald - an American Girl children's book.  Follow-up to "Meet Julie".  Grade: A-

I'm glad you enjoyed Wish You Were Here. I love Rita Mae Brown and the idea that such a powerful feminist icon can become a writer of cozy mysteries later in life. She's lived such an adventure! I've read most of her Sneaky Pie / Mrs Murphy books, but stopped a few yers back. They're definitely not GREAT books,  but they're enjoyable and I really like what she's done with the town of Crozet and the characters she's created.

I'll check out Death at Wentwater Court and Death and Bishop's Keep.

Honored Contributor

Has anyone read any of these books?  We need suggestions for our book club.

Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahari

A Hundred Flowers, Gail Tsukiyama

The Warmth of Other Suns, Isabel Wilkerson

The Maid Narratives, Katherine S Van Wormer

The Accounting, William Lashner

Remember Me Like This, Bret Anthony Johnson

The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

Wild Swans, Jung Chang

If This Is A Woman: Inside Ravensbruck Hitlers Camp for Women, Sarah Helm

Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir, Marina Nemat

Behind The Beautiful Forevers, Katherine Boo
Respected Contributor

Behind the Beautiful Forevers has a lot of poverty. I couldn't finish it but someday I'll go back to it. The Secret Life of Bees has a young girl narrator. I liked it but would describe it as been there done that.
Respected Contributor

I finished A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White. It's about a woman who was was abducted and assaulted for months but managed to escape. 

Now I'm reading The Killing Hour by Lisa Gardner.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

SydneyH wrote:

Has anyone read any of these books?  We need suggestions for our book club.

The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

----------------------------

I read The Secret Life of Bees and couldn't finish it (hmm....does that mean I didn't read it?Smiley LOL). I just didn't like it. But I know I'm in the minority with that opinion - most people liked it.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum