Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- July 2015

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not?

~ tell us the book genre - is it a mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc. 

***There is no obligation to do any of the above!

As always, all posters are welcome here.

------------------------------------------------------

Well, here it is July already! I finished my little spurt of re-reading the Fifty Shades books. Now I'm reading A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White. 

Happy reading all!  lainey Heart

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2015

I'll try to remember not to post on the June thread-but knowing me it'll be a few days Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for starting a new thread. Kinda keeps the books separated from the other stuff. I just finished mr Mercedes which I really enjoyed. Reading finders keepers which is pretty gory. In between read Mary Higgins Clark The Melody lingers on. So so. Can't figure out how to bold on my mini iPad. Sorry
Honored Contributor

I'm listening to Bad Feminist, by Roxannne Gay. I highly recommend this book. It's a book of essays, many on feminism, but some on random things. Her essay about being a competitive Scrabble player is so, so funny! (Who knew that was even a thing?!)

I'm reading Wayward, the second book in the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch.

During lunch, I'm also working my way through the 125 unread samples I've downloaded on my Kindles and sorting them into Buy or Maybe collections and deleting the ones I definitely don't want. Last month I got through 25 samples and my Unread Samples collection number is slowly ticking down. It's hard because I keep adding new ones. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I just finished Blue Lightning (Ann Cleeves) the 4th in her Shetland Island series.  I liked the first one in the series a lot, but they're getting more boring with each one.  This last one ended with sort of a shock so I may pick up the next one just out of curiosity to see where she goes from here.

Respected Contributor

Just started the new Daniel Silva novel, THE ENGLISH SPY.
Honored Contributor

I just finished this one-

I didn't love it, but I did finish it.

Nora Eldridge is a reliable, but unremarkable, friend and neighbor, always on the fringe of other people’s achievements. But the arrival of the Shahid family—dashing Skandar, a Lebanese scholar, glamorous Sirena, an Italian artist, and their son, Reza—draws her into a complex and exciting new world. Nora’s happiness pushes her beyond her boundaries, until Sirena’s careless ambition leads to a shattering betrayal. Told with urgency, intimacy, and piercing emotion, this New York Times bestselling novel is the riveting confession of a woman awakened, transformed, and abandoned by a desire for a world beyond her own.

Honored Contributor

I started this.  It is formulaic, like the others, but more emphasis on a serial killer and less on things like espionage and other topics that she's written about in previous books.

21.Dust.car

A body, oddly draped in an unusual cloth, has just been discovered inside the sheltered gates of MIT, and it’s suspected the identity is that of missing computer engineering grad student Gail Shipton, last seen the night before at a trendy Cambridge bar. It appears she’s been murdered, mere weeks before the trial in her $100 million lawsuit against her former financial manager, and Massachusetts Chief Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta doubts it’s a coincidence. She also fears the case may have a connection with her computer genius niece, Lucy.

In Dust, Scarpetta and her colleagues are up against a force far more sinister than a sexual predator who fits the criminal classification of a “spectacle killer.” The murder of Gail Shipton soon leads deep into the dark world of designer drugs, drone technology, organized crime, and shocking corruption at the highest levels.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Nora Eldridge is a reliable, but unremarkable, friend and neighbor, always on the fringe of other people’s achievements. But the arrival of the Shahid family—dashing Skandar, a Lebanese scholar, glamorous Sirena, an Italian artist, and their son, Reza—draws her into a complex and exciting new world. Nora’s happiness pushes her beyond her boundaries, until Sirena’s careless ambition leads to a shattering betrayal. Told with urgency, intimacy, and piercing emotion, this New York Times bestselling novel is the riveting confession of a woman awakened, transformed, and abandoned by a desire for a world beyond her own.

I liked this book but at same time it's not a book that is easy to recommend to anyone.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

I liked this book but at same time it's not a book that is easy to recommend to anyone.

BTW- I think it could have been shortened by about 25%, but I did like the author's precise vocabulary.