Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? January 2019 Happy New Year!

Lilysmom, Dean Koontz's early books are better than his recent ones IMO. Watchers is very good; another one I like is Strangers. 

Some other recommendations are Shadowfires and The Bad Place. I don't know what happened to his writing, but I lost interest later on. If you want to try Koontz, go for his early books first. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw, I agree about Watchers, one of my favorite books by Koontz.  I remember many years ago when I was teaching, the day before winter break I only had a few students so I showed that movie.  The students liked it so much that they actually read the book.

I am currently reading a mystery series by Aaron Stander, the Ray Elkins series.  I just book 4, Shelf Ice.    The books are based in the UP of Michigan.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Kjelle  I'm going to try to get New Way Of Seeing: The History of Art in 57 Works.  It sounds really interesting, especially if it's meant for the masses (that would be me).  Hope my library has it.

Also, is Three Kings Day the same as Epiphany?  I've never heard it called that.

@smoky22 Excellent! Let me know if you enjoy it. And yes, it's just another name for Epiphany. I collect sets of Wise Men, so I just like it.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@Kjelle  After you have the opportunity to read The History of Art in 57 Works, I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on it. With my workload at my job this year, I have very little time to read and choose carefully for the time I do have. My first degree was a BA in Art History, and I've read The History of the World in 6 Glasses and found it to be interesting nonfiction. TIA

@Desert Lily I will definitely keep you posted. I think @smoky22 may get it sooner, so maybe if she does, she can let us both know. I went through a podcast from iTunes one year called The History of the World in 100 Objects. They were each short and focused on a small item like a vase, sword or piece of jewelry that was significant to the world for the changes/advances/trade that piece represented. If you can close your door at lunch for a couple minutes, it's a great 'brain break.' I am bettings it's still there and that you would enjoy it.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Valued Contributor

I don’t know why I didn’t read this before now except I have to many books! LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE, I know a lot of you have read it. I remember post on this book. What a great book, so many issues make for a great debate. The where you live is a great one too. Loved the characters, would like more of what happen to Mia,don’t want to say much Incase someone else is reading it now. Who has read her other book EVERYTHING I NEVER TOLD YOU?

Esteemed Contributor

Last night I finished The Endless Beach by Jenny Colgan, and I loved it, cannot wait to read the third book, The Endless Beach was the 2nd One!

I started reading Girls Night Out by Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke, I read the description on the back of the book looks like a good book, will post my final review when I am done!

Regular Contributor

I finished a couple books this week:

Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts - this is book 2 in the Chronicles of the One series, a fantasy trilogy. It started slow for me, but then picked up around chapter 4 and then I couldn't stop reading. I am looking forward to the final book in November.

Pride by Ibi Zoboi - this is a modern re-telling of Pride and Prejudice set in Brooklyn. I love a re-telling or re-imagining of a classic or a fairytale, but this one was just okay for me. 

A Groom of One's Own by Maya Rodale - jilted bride turned wedding columnist falls in love with a duke. It was a fun read and book 1 in a quartet that I look forward to continuing. 

Now I am reading;

Confess by Colleen Hoover

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

and I am still working on Becoming by Michelle Obama - I left it unattended during a dinner party and a friend begged to borrow. I am hoping she's finished soon. It's a good thing that I have tons of books to read!

Esteemed Contributor

Just starting book 5 in the Ray Elkins Thriller Series by Aaron Stander, Medieval Murders.  This series, if you like a good mystery, is very good.  Each book gets better.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I'm really liking this. The Darkness by Ragnar Jonasson (I think I have that right). It takes place in Iceland. A female detective going on 65 is booted out. She doesn't want to retire but they're making her-already have her replacement. Her boss said she can do another case before she goes and she chooses a cold case murder of a Russian girl. The reviews all say the same thing-what an ending!!! Such raves. I can't wait to see what they're talking about. (I never look ahead in a book!) Meanwhile I'm enjoying the book, even with the excerpts every now and then of things I'd rather not know. I'd rather wait till the end. You will see what I'm talking about if you read it.

Trusted Contributor

In Like Flynn, A Molly Murphy Mystery by Rhys Bowen

Working my way through the series and I really do like these books!

You Don't Own Me, Under Suspicion series by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke