Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? January 2019 Happy New Year!

I read THE NEST,which I liked  very much, I know a lot of you read it last year and. I hadn’t gotten into it at that time. Interesting plot,and what happens when we count on something that is so many years away and how it effects each one. Also like how they were after at the end too. Middle part of the book was the personality of each,also a bit of the morals and the desperation to keep and not loose was insightful. PS I liked  Bea the best.

Contributor

My January reads...it was a good month!

The Woman in the Window - great thriller that I didn't figure out...love that!

An Unwanted Guest - loved this thriller also...very easy quick read and great story

Where the Crawdads Sing - one word...masterpiece!!!

Family Trust - kind of a Crazy Rich Asians knockoff...didn't hate but didn't love

Something in the Water - Another good thriller!

Convenience Store Woman - quick, cute book about a quirky girl and her convenience store job

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori

I finished "Three wishes" today". I really enjoyed the book. I loved the relationship between the sisters, parents, friends, and significant others. It was not a we all have a perfect life because we are triplets. Several issues were addressed, infidelity, abuse, divorce, and others.

I will definitely read more from this author. 

@icezeus  I am so happy to read this!  I'd point you next to "The Last Anniversary," which I adore too.  What I love about Liane Moriarty is she's a great writer and rises above chick lit with he issues, you nailed it on the first book. 

"The Last Anniversary," I absolutely love that book.  I love Scribbly Gum Island. Whenever I hear or write the name I can smell the marble cake and hear the kookaburras (went on line at the time to hear their calls!).  It's a terrific story.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  and with apologies to anyone who also read and recommended this book:

"The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" by Stuart Turton has won the UK's prestigious Costa Prize for 2018's Best First Novel.  

I have a few books in front, going to finish up Rick Wilson and read Flavia natch, but I'm even more excited to read it now.

For those who are interested in the U.S. the title is "The Seven and a Half Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle."  Smoky can explain why!

Esteemed Contributor

Last night I finished The Little Shop of Found Things by Paula Brackston, I enjoyed this book.  Mind you, you have to keep an open mind as it deals with Time Travel and a ghost, but I still enjoyed it!

Next up Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, my friend really enjoyed it, and told me I would too.

Will post my final review when I finish!

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori

I finished "Three wishes" today". I really enjoyed the book. I loved the relationship between the sisters, parents, friends, and significant others. It was not a we all have a perfect life because we are triplets. Several issues were addressed, infidelity, abuse, divorce, and others.

I will definitely read more from this author. 

@icezeus  I am so happy to read this!  I'd point you next to "The Last Anniversary," which I adore too.  What I love about Liane Moriarty is she's a great writer and rises above chick lit with he issues, you nailed it on the first book. 

"The Last Anniversary," I absolutely love that book.  I love Scribbly Gum Island. Whenever I hear or write the name I can smell the marble cake and hear the kookaburras (went on line at the time to hear their calls!).  It's a terrific story.

@LoriLori

I looked up the name of her second book last night and  wrote it  down on my TBR list.  once I get through the stack of books that I currently have at home from the LIbrary I will be requesting this one.

Thanks for the great recommendation.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

@appmJames Rollins has been on my TBR for years.  I think this might be the year I start reading.  So many books!  I'm wishing I had multiple lives.Smiley Very Happy

Love James Rollins.  So far I have read, War Hawk, James Rollins and Grant Blackwood, Amazonia, The Devil Colony and Blood Line.  I slowed down on my reading for a while, time to pick it up again and looking forward to more of his works.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

This thread is now closed. Please see the new February 2019 thread for more books to share.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett