Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? January 2019 Happy New Year!

[ Edited ]

Has anyone read any of Marie Benedict's books?  She is a new author for me.  She writes in the historical fiction style. I recently read Carnegie's Maid and The Other Einstein.  Soon I will read The Only Woman In the Room.  It's about Hedy Lamarr.  I like the first two titles.  Any opinions from our readers on this author?

Trusted Contributor

I read The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. I agree with all the positive reviews on this one. It was a wonderful warm story. I wonder if this is a book that is better appreciated by a more "mature"( meaning older ) person. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much in my younger years.

I also read Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley. I always enjoy my time spent with Flavia. Just thinking about her brings a smile to my lips and I am glad that I still have more books in the series to read.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Contributor

I have read all three of the Marie Benedict novels. The Other Einstein and The Only Woman in the Room were my favorites.  Just finished The Only Woman over the weekend. Very interesting story.  I think you will really like it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Where The Crawdad's Sing by Delia Owens, as everyone else, I loved this book, too bad real life had to interrupt my reading time highly recommend this book!

The Little Shop of Found Things by Paula Brackston, I think (hope) this is another good one, will post by final review when I finish.

Respected Contributor

@joammi  and @maximillian  I've always been fascinated by Hedy Lamarr.  Thanks for mentioning The Only Woman In The Room.  I just put it on waitlist.  Unfortunately I'm #34 on 1 copy.

Esteemed Contributor

Murder in Arles, Book 13 of the Maggie Newberry mysteries by Susan Kiernan-Lewis.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@joammi  and @maximillian  I've always been fascinated by Hedy Lamarr.  Thanks for mentioning The Only Woman In The Room.  I just put it on waitlist.  Unfortunately I'm #34 on 1 copy.

Yes, I remember she had something to do with, or invented herself, one of the code machines used in WWll. That would be the only thing I'd be interested-never cared for her so I naturally have not read the book.

Valued Contributor

I finished "Burying the Honeysuckle Girls" about a week ago. It wasn't what I had expected, and not something I could recommend to anyone else. Too much time alluding to what could happen in the present day to the main character, and there was too much time to finally find out what actually did happen in the past that would possibly affect her.

I'm not sure what's next to read, but with books waiting on the Kindle as well as regular books, plenty of choices to keep me going. Our weather here is freezing with a ton of ice everywhere, so I look forward to spending time with my books.   pinky

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I just did as well but thankfully only No. 2 in line to wait @smoky22

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Judaline, the story of Hedy Lamarr's inventions is fascinating. I recommend a book that came out a few years ago: Richard Rhodes' Hedy's Folly. Great!