Respected Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

Judaline, I also thought One Thousand White Women was dull, but there are many who revere it.

Regular Contributor

I just finished an ARC of Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes. I really enjoyed this one. It was a light romance that was a perfect poolside read! 

Now I am reading:
Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum, a YA novel that is my book club's pick of the month. 

Cooper's Charm by Lori Foster, a romance novel that I picked purely based on the cover (there is a very cute dog on it!)

Honored Contributor

Just finished AFTER THE END, by Clare Mackintosh. It was really good, hard to read at first, I almost didn't continue, but it really was an excellent story. It is about family, husbands,wives, children, and choices!!! Very gut wrenching and raw at times, but just a wonderful read. I know I will think about this book for a while......

On to STEP ON A CRACK By James Patterson!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@catlover00 , I loved One Thousand White Women.  LM

Hmmmm...........I think that's the one our @LoriLori had a few things to say about. (or, about which to say a few things, lol) I found the book blah, myself.

Hi, Jud.   Giggling at "...that's the one [Lori] had a few things to say about" -- hahahahaha, as if there's just one.   

Hi lori. I just couldn't resist, hahaha. 

Valued Contributor

@FindingMyJoy  I love Peter Robinson,an English mystery series. Also Debra crumbiest , she is American, writes English mystery books,very good. Joe Nesbo ,has a Harry series that so far has been good. I always find that there is one or two books that don’t live up to my expectations. But I love books!

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Handyman, by Linda Nichols;

The Mister, by E.L. James;

Save the Date, by Morgan Matson .

@beckyb1012 

How was The Mister? When it was first released the reviews were all over the place so I decided to wait awhile and see.

I generally do not read reviews unless I am on the fence about a book. 

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Handyman, by Linda Nichols;

The Mister, by E.L. James;

Save the Date, by Morgan Matson .

@beckyb1012 

How was The Mister? When it was first released the reviews were all over the place so I decided to wait awhile and see.

I generally do not read reviews unless I am on the fence about a book. 

I have only read about a 1/3 of it so far since so many new releases have come in.  Not quite as xrated as Shades of Gray (which is a good thing for me) but it has been enjoyable so far.  Just not inclined to be a page turner to me and have no problem putting down for something else.  I will finish but not in like a day or so like other books I read @icezeus 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I read The Huntress (Kate Quinn) and didn't love it.    The Nina chapters were the only true historical aspect of the book.  And I enjoyed the Russian perspective that we usually don't get. The Ian and Jordan chapters were just a convenient way to eventually wrap up the story.  And it was so obvious where those stories were going and how they would end.  The book was well written, but overall I thought it was just ok.  Too much filler that made it too long (over 500 pages).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Emilie Richards A Family of Strangers.  I love her books and this one was another good one.  It was sort of a mystery too.

Next book is Lisa Grunwald's Time After Time.

Esteemed Contributor

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. Ann and Marco Conti seem to have a good marriage, but things unravel when their 6 month old baby goes missing. The kidnapping takes a different direction, and secrets are revealed.

I like Lapena's other books, and this is another interesting one.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain