Respected Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

[ Edited ]

I read Crimson Lake by Candice Fox and liked it more than I thought I would.  The blurb on the front says, "six minutes in the wrong place at the wrong time" and that about explains it.  A man is accused of a crime because he was seen in the vicinity of that crime at about the time it happened.  The characters were really interesting and the Australian setting was a great backdrop.  And I loved the geese. 

Unfortunately not everything gets resolved in this book and my library doesn't have the 2nd in the series yet.   Book 3 doesn't come out for another year so I guess I can wait for book 2.

I see that she has written a lot of books with James Patterson.  She's a good writer.

Honored Contributor

The Peacock Emporium, by Jojo Moyes

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. First time reading this author, and I never saw any of the  movies based on his novels.

Shutter Island is where an institute for the criminally insane is located. The story takes place in 1954, U.S. Marshals Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule are assigned to the island to investigate the disappearance of a patient. How did she escape the highly secure facility and where could she hide?

The Marshals discover strange things going on at the facility.Their investigation is hindered by a hurricane headed towards the island.

Very good book. I plan on checking out more of Lehane's writing.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finish New Orleans Requiem by D. J. Donaldson, and I did that by skipping much of the last pages of the book.  While there are three more books left in the series, this is probably the last one that I will read.  While the premise was interesting and realistic, the actions of Kit Franklyn were ridiculous, and there were also some really some sadistic scenes that I felt were unnecessary.  I was disappointed in this book.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, last night (my first night of summer vacation as a teacher), was filled with reading instead of sleeping! I started and finished Coldhearted Boss by RS Grey - an enemies to lovers contemporary romance. It was obviously a quick read for me and it was great!

I also finished Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin, a Muslim Pride and Prejudice re-telling that is set in Canada. This was recommended by Anne Bogel and part of the Modern Mrs. Darcy Summer Book List. It was not my favorite re-telling, but it was still good.

Trusted Contributor

This evening I finished reading Cape May.

Front Cover

It's not a long story, but it packs a lot of action in the 257 pages!

Set in the fall of 1957, it is the story of Henry and Effie, two young newlyweds from Georgia who arrive in Cape May, New Jersey, for their honeymoon only to find the beach town deserted. They’re ready to cut the trip short when a chance encounter with Clara, a beautiful socialite, and Max, her lover, opens the door to an intoxicating world of drama and desire.  

Whoa - Cape May is one of my favorite places to visit, but after reading this book, I'll never again look at it the same way!Woman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to Magic for Liars  by Sarah Gailey - an alcoholic PI is asked to look into a suspicious death at a school of magic (think Hogwarts meets Mean Girls). While there, she rekindles her relationship with her magic twin, who teaches there.  I personally liked it, although I was often annoyed with the protagonist wondering “which Ivy” she was going to be that day. I can’t get into details, but there is some subject matter that may not appeal to everyone (but maybe the fact that one would be reading a book with magic would be okay with it?)  I really liked the narrator.

I’m trying to up my reading and am thus trying to both read and listen to a couple of books next.  I am therefore simultaneously reopening my grandmother’s restaurant in San Francisco’s Chinatown while also being an Eleanor Oliphant wannabe who is pregnant in London.  

Esteemed Contributor

This week I finished Appollyon by Tim Lahaye/Jenkins and Tick Tock by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge.

Tomorrow I will be starting The Cartel by Don Winslow. Book number 2 in the three part series. Time to gird my loins to read this book. 

Respected Contributor

THE GOOD DETECTIVE  John McMahon

EMILY, GONE  Bette Lee Crosby

GUILTY  Laura Elliot

QUEEN BEE  Dorothea Benton Frank

KEEP YOU CLOSE  Karen Cleveland

THE SHALLOWS  Matt Goldman

THE SONG OF THE JADE LILY  Kirsty Manning

Valued Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. First time reading this author, and I never saw any of the  movies based on his novels.

Shutter Island is where an institute for the criminally insane is located. The story takes place in 1954, U.S. Marshals Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule are assigned to the island to investigate the disappearance of a patient. How did she escape the highly secure facility and where could she hide?

The Marshals discover strange things going on at the facility.Their investigation is hindered by a hurricane headed towards the island.

Very good book. I plan on checking out more of Lehane's writing.

@teganslaw 

I have read almost all of Lehane's books and have never been disappointed.