Trusted Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

During my vacation week, I finally read Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. It's a World War II story based on real life women. I had never known very much about the women's concentration camp Ravensbruck where they did experimental surgeries. It was heart breaking how people could do this to other humans. Reading the chapters done thru the doctor's voice was interesting look into how people can be taught such hate and how they can look at others as "beneath them".  Overall I would highly recommend the book to those who haven't yet read it. I do confess the story line between Caroline and love interest Paul I got bored and skipped some parts. It's an almost 500 page book so I loved having it as an e-book to hold versus such a heavy book. 

Respected Contributor

Just finished my first book on my tablet thanks to Netgalley approving me for Jennifer Weiner's Mrs. Everything.  There was no way I was going to be on the waiting list at the libary for this one.  She did a wonderful job and it was her best one yet for me.  I loved how it was a Jewish family and how it went from 1950s to 2022 and about 2 sisters who loved each other in their own way and their opposite lives in so many ways. 

Onto The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams which is what I was going to read before I read this one.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder at Morrington Hall (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery) by Clara McKenna.  The book takes place in the early 1900's, in a small village in England.  

Stella is from Kentucky, her father wants a royal title, and Lyndy's family, while being royalty, are broke.  Stella's father raises horses, so he, Stella, and her aunt (chaperone) travel to England with the horses for the arranged marriage of Stella and Lyndy.  Stella will get a title if they marry and Lyndy's family will get money.  Things do not go well.

This is a very good book if you like historical fiction and a good mystery.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

This thread for June 2019 is now closed.

Please post on our new July 2019 thread with all your books, good and bad, to share with us.

Happy Fourth of July and Happy Reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@abbalulu   I just posted a rather long summary about my whereabouts at the end of this thread! to house cat.

Esteemed Contributor

Dear Sunala,         

@sunala 

and all book friends~ where she loves to be. Heart

Since many of CAREBEARS' book friends are here. She is one of my older best friends, also.

I wanted everyone to know on Among Friends under a thread I started a while ago:

*UNDER> Dear CareBears.

She has written quite a bit about where she is, what happened to her, her facility/ Physical Therapy, along with some progress. 

I have had over '4'  back and forth lengthy conversations with her that can explain what her goals are and so far her accomplishments. 

This goes to all of her friends, here and those that may be on other forums and threads. 

I wanted each to know.

Thank you and I know she will be looking forward to each friend.

She is recuperating from a stroke and has lost a lot of weight. She is in physical therapy.

There is more to learn as you read. 

Hugs, NAES

August 07th, 2019

Wednesday night. 

Esteemed Contributor

Message @sunala 

@SXMGirl 

@SWEET 

@FindingMyJoy 

and sunala can alert everyone else of those whom I may not know.