Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

@Judaline  Update on Shutter island. The book was interesting, but the ending was quite confusing. I had to read the end again to understand exactly what happened. I would have subtracted a star if I wrote a review. That being said, I'll read Lehane again since I like his overall style of writing.

Starting Fade Away by Harlan Coben. I read Coben a few years ago, but this is the first time I read about the character, Myron Bolitar.

Bolitar is a sports agent and former basketball star. When one of his former rivals goes missing, the owner of the team brings Bolitar to find out what happened. I like the writing and Bolitar's sense of humor.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

I have faithfully read all of GA McKevett's Savannah Reid mystery series. I always liked how the main character was a strong female who used her brain. Sadly, the latest book is #24 Bitter Brew was a major dud. The mystery took backseat to Savannah's never ending whining and worrying if her new husband is lying or having an affair. Multiple pages of her having conversations with herself about the husband blah blah blah. It went on for so long that I started skipping pages to avoid the whining. I know this author has branched off doing a spin off series based on the grandmother so I wonder if this series is going to go down the toilet.   It really sucks when a series you have really enjoyed for multiple years kicks out a dud. Looking back I guess my opinion on the series changed when the main characters got married. Guess it's like tv shows - often when there is a big relationship change, it impacts the quality of the storylines. 

Regular Contributor

Reading is so much fun in the summer, even if the book is a stinker! I read Geared for the Grave by Duffy Brown, a debut mystery set on Mackinac Island in Michigan, and it was not for me - at all! I followed that up with some historical romances: Duchess by Desgin and Some Like it Scandalous, both by Maya Rodale and they were wwwaaaaayyyyy better that the other one.

Respected Contributor

Orphan Train - so glad I finally started reading. Lovely story. Want up read A Piece of the World now.
Esteemed Contributor

I am reading The Editor by James Rowley, and I'm enjoying it immensely!

From Amazon: "After years of trying to make it as a writer in 1990s New York City, James Smale finally sells his novel to an editor at a major publishing house: none other than Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Jackie--or Mrs. Onassis, as she's known in the office--has fallen in love with James's candidly autobiographical novel, one that exposes his own dysfunctional family. But when the book's forthcoming publication threatens to unravel already fragile relationships, both within his family and with his partner, James finds that he can't bring himself to finish the manuscript."

I haven't had all that much reading time so it's going a bit slow, but I hope to finish it today. Really good!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego   thanks for the review, I've had my eyes on The Cactus.  

I'm reading a book now that on the cover is compared to Eleanor Oliphant and it could not be less like Eleanor Oliphant!  Yours sounds like it really does have things in common with it -- mine is waaaaaay off.  Nothing in common. 

And it's Random House, not some dinky publisher so I guess it's a thing now, say "Eleanor Oliphant" on the cover. sell books?  I've seen it on other books too.

Esteemed Contributor

I  just finished Kathi Daley's The Inn at Holiday Bay:  Answers in the Attic.  This is book 4 and a very nice mystery series.  

The main character is Abby Sullivan, a mystery writer who relocates to Maine after a personal tragedy.  She buys a mansion, sight unseen, and starts to renovate, ultimately making it into an inn.  This book is about the previous owners and their history, as well as the opening of her inn.  The characters in the book form a family for her, and it is just a very nice read, along with a murder or two.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Finished Olive Dunn's Controlling Shelly ******an.  3.5 stars.

Onto Linda Hawkins' The Book Charmer.

Valued Contributor

Finished, THE LAST TIME I SAW YOU, by Liv Constantine, very good  a 4- 4 1/2 stars..took that 1/2 star off as at times the book felt to easy to read. I hope you guys understand. What I am saying.

Valued Contributor

I just finished Pam Jenoff's newest The Lost Girls of Paris. I requested it at the library several weeks back before it was officially out. (I enjoyed it very much, but some of the reviews on Amazon were not so good.) It is about girls who were sent to spy and relay messages in occupied France during WW 2, 

I also finished David Balducci's novel Redemption. Also enjoyed it.