Respected Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

I just finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. 

I really liked it.   

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Lori Lori, you had asked about recommendations for starting Discworld novels since you couldn't find the original list. I posted under "Good Omens" in TV forum, but here it is again.

Small Gods is a good book to start with. It gets the reader acquainted with Terry Pratchett's wit and style of writing.

First in "City watch" series is Guards, Guards.

Witches starts with Equal Rites.

Mort is a good one with the character of Death.

Any of these books would be recommended, depending on which character you would be most interested in. If still undecided I'd go with Small Gods; it isn't in a series, but seems to be a favorite with beginners to Discworld.

If you don't want her to miss the info, I would add @LoriLori to your post. She will be notified then of your notification. Not meaning to interfere.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 3/4 of the way through Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris. I may have missed it, but I don't think there's been much talk about this book on the forum.  So far, it is VERY good, and I can hardly put it down.  Although mysteries and thrillers are my favorite genres, I like any story if it is good.  

The book is historical fiction based on a photo from the Depression era of children being sold.  The photo is shown toward the back of the book.  I will warn you that the story starts out a bit slow, imo, but quickly picks up steam.  The story has characters with depth and is somewhat of a mystery, which of course, checked my boxes.  It's an easy read that engages the reader quickly; I want to prolong reading it, but at the same time, want to finish it so I can see what happens!  

ETA: Finished it and 100% recommend!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I just finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. 

I really liked it.   

@Bridgegal  I read this too and liked it.  It's by Taylor Jenkins Reid, who also wrote Daisy Jones and the Six (totally different by the way).  A lot of her books sound like romances, but based on these two, she's a good writer. 

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished my first "beach book" of the season:  The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews.  It was published in 2018.  She is a new author for me, so although I expected a fluff book, this one had a good plot and some unexpected twists. It is set on a island off the coast of Georgia.  It had some chapters that flashed back to the 1940's and the rest took place in the present day.  Some chapters had the point of view of specific characters.  She handled all of those devices well and it was not confusing or cumbersome.  It was a little long (470 pages), but that was ok for a beach read.  I recommend it, especially if you like themes of women's friendships. 

Trusted Contributor

I just finished "THE SILENT PATIENT" by Alex Michaelides (a thriller) and "SIEGE" by Michael Wolff (political non-fiction).  Both were good, in their very different ways.

Respected Contributor

The River by Peter Heller was a huge disappointment for me.  The plot was practically non-existent (endless descriptions of what little they had to eat and what supplies they had while outrunning a forest fire in a kayak) and there were too many  uninteresting flashbacks for the two main characters.  Some of the later actions in the book were not well explained.  I guess you were supposed to read a lot into the flashbacks, which I didn't.  Two stars is  being generous.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

Lori Lori, you had asked about recommendations for starting Discworld novels since you couldn't find the original list. I posted under "Good Omens" in TV forum, but here it is again.

Small Gods is a good book to start with. It gets the reader acquainted with Terry Pratchett's wit and style of writing.

First in "City watch" series is Guards, Guards.

Witches starts with Equal Rites.

Mort is a good one with the character of Death.

Any of these books would be recommended, depending on which character you would be most interested in. If still undecided I'd go with Small Gods; it isn't in a series, but seems to be a favorite with beginners to Discworld.

If you don't want her to miss the info, I would add @LoriLori to your post. She will be notified then of your notification. Not meaning to interfere.

Thanks @Judaline .  You're right, I would not have seen it especially since I took a mini-break from the forum (I've done that twice lately and think I will make it a reglar thing).

Teganslaw, thanks so much.  I put three in the cart:  Small Gods, Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters.  I'm very grateful to you.

Honored Contributor

I'm reading Chloe Benjamin's "The Immortalists."

I would have read it sooner if I knew it's the story of a family and very well written.  Everything I'd seen about the book has focused ont how the siblings know the date they'll die...

...but it isn't that big a deal.  It's reading about their lives, and the things they live through from 1969 on, that makes the book so good to me.  They're characters that interest me and I care about.

Respected Contributor

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.  She has a tragic life and slowly works to turn things around with the help of a co-worker who becomes a good friend.  A big reveal at the end shows how far she had to go to hide the pain from her childhood.  I liked her character very much and the book was excellent.