Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

I finished listening (admittedly half-heartedly) to The Guest Book by Sarah Blake.  I figured I’ve listened to worse books all the way through, so I can listen to this one!  Not sure if I would have gotten through “reading”, as I tend to be a little more selective. 

It wasn’t horrible and will not be on my worst of the year list.  I can see why it would be a good book club pick - a very serious book club, that is! Deals with a lot of issues - racism, antisemitism, censorship...and more!! In some cases, I felt like the author was specifically writing the book just for the conversations it would arouse! Some likable characters.  Book went back and forth in time lines with no indication of where the chapter starts.  As a listener, sometimes took a few seconds to know when we were.  A few too many coincidences. Goodreads gives it 3.71 stars.

I did learn about Stumbling Stones in the book.  Googled to learn more about them.

For my next Audible, I’m solving a murder at a school of magic - that’s not named Hogwarts!

Esteemed Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

This week I finished What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty and The 8th Confession by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro.

I am currently reading  Apollyon by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.  This is part of the Left Behind Series.

@icezeus  What Alice Forgot is one of my all time favorite books!

@momoftwo2007 

What Alice forgot was my third book that I have read by this author. My favorite so far is still "Three Wishes" although I did enjoy What Alice Forgot. :-)

Respected Contributor

Just finished Harlan Coben's new book Run Away.  Excellent story as always, and I couldn't put the book down.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Just finished AFTER THE END, by Clare Mackintosh. It was really good, hard to read at first, I almost didn't continue, but it really was an excellent story. It is about family, husbands,wives, children, and choices!!! Very gut wrenching and raw at times, but just a wonderful read. I know I will think about this book for a while......

On to STEP ON A CRACK By James Patterson!

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I am currently reading Tick Tock which is the third book in the Michael Bennett series. I really enjoyed Step on a Crack

Regular Contributor

I finished Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston - an enemies to lovers romance about the prince of England and the son of the President of the United States. I liked this one!

Now I am reading Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin and I am really enjoying this one too! This one is a Pride and Prejudice re-do set in Canada.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lori Lori, you had asked about recommendations for starting Discworld novels since you couldn't find the original list. I posted under "Good Omens" in TV forum, but here it is again.

Small Gods is a good book to start with. It gets the reader acquainted with Terry Pratchett's wit and style of writing.

First in "City watch" series is Guards, Guards.

Witches starts with Equal Rites.

Mort is a good one with the character of Death.

Any of these books would be recommended, depending on which character you would be most interested in. If still undecided I'd go with Small Gods; it isn't in a series, but seems to be a favorite with beginners to Discworld.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I just started a fantastic book ... I can't stop tellng people about it (and watch their eyes glaze over in the midst of my talk).  I have the Kindle version and it's always with me and I can quickly pull out the Kindle and read various passages to my "rapt" audience.  Smiley Wink 

It's by James V. Schall S.J. (that's Society of Jesus . aka Jesuit for those who aren't familiar with S.J.) and is entitled On the Life of the Mind:  On the Joys and Travails of Thinking.

Not long ago, a friend asked me why I'm always "studying" stuff ... and my answer was "I like to know stuff ... for the sake of knowing."   This book reflects my thinking.  I can spend hours just knitting and "thinking" about stuff.  I'm the kid who always asks "Why?"

From the blurb at Amazon:

In The Life of the Mind, Georgetown University’s James V. Schall takes up the task of reminding us that, as human beings, we naturally take a special delight and pleasure in simply knowing. Because we have not only bodies but also minds, we are built to know what is.  In this volume, Schall  ....  (snip) ...  discusses the various ways of approaching the delight of thinking and the way that this delight begins in seeing and hearing and even in making and walking. We must be attentive to and cultivate the needs of the mind, argues Schall, for it is through our intellect that all that is not ourselves is finally returned to us, allowing us to live in the light of truth.

@ALRATIBA  Thank you for recommending this book, "The Life of the Mind," by James Schall.   I ordered the paperback from Amazon and I am enjoying Schall's writing.  

Trusted Contributor

Our library has a new website and I cannot figure out how to space out my library holds as I used to do.  

So ... I've got 3 books on my night table and one on my Nook.  I knew I should have taken that speedreading course!Woman LOL

I'm in the middle of The Mother In Law.  Yikes, I don't know how she dies yet, but I want to kill her myself!

Up next is Cape May (my favorite shore spot!) and The Farm.  On my Nook is City Girls, which I really want to read.

I recently finished Mistress of the Ritz.  Based on a true storythe real-life American woman who secretly worked for the French Resistance during World War II--while playing hostess to the invading Germans at the iconic Hotel Ritz in Paris.  The author, Melanie Benjamin, also wrote The Aviator's Wife and The Swans of Fifth Avenue, both of which I've read.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

A Girl's Guide to Moving On by Debbie Macomber

Cliff House by Rayanne Thayne

Queen Bee by Dorothea Benton Frank....if you are a fan of her books you'll enjoy this one

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 

It sounds like something I'd like.   I just put the E-book on hold at my library.  Thanks.