Trusted Contributor

Re: ~What Are You Reading? JUNE 2019

@number one queen wrote:

@FindingMyJoy  I love Peter Robinson,an English mystery series. Also Debra crumbiest , she is American, writes English mystery books,very good. Joe Nesbo ,has a Harry series that so far has been good. I always find that there is one or two books that don’t live up to my expectations. But I love books!

Thank you for the recommendations! I will check if my local library carries them. One of my favorite series is MC Beaton's Agatha series set in England! There is just something fun about reading stuff set in that country. It feels like a mini vacation learning about different quirky customs etc. 

I finished another new to me mystery series book #1 A Merciful Death by Kendra Elliot. It's a mystery series with a female FBI agent as the lead character in Oregon. What I really appreciated was right in the 1st chapter the murder already had happened and they were on site to investigate it! Usually most books there is a ramp up to the murder. In some books the ramp up is waaaay too long LOL. I enjoyed it enough to request the next 2 books in the series from my library!

Regular Contributor

I finished Cooper's Charm by Lori Foster - a quick romance novel that didn't hold my attention very well. I thought about pulling the bookmark, but I plowed through. It ended up being ok, but not great.

I also finished Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum - a YA romance novel about a girl nagivating big changes in her life after her mother dies. I liked this one. I read it for my book club and it will probably bring on some teary conversations this month.

Now I am reading:
Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Split Second by David Baldacci

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Lovely Wife--Samantha Downing

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished No Mardi Gras For The Dead by D, J. Donaldson.  Very good book, based in New Orleans,  Book 3 of the Any Broussard/Kit Franklyn mysteries.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

My Lovely Wife--Samantha Downing

Picking mine up finally from the library this afternoon for a weekend read.  I have been waiting forever it seems like @RetRN 

Reading now and very very good:

Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished D-Day Girls by Sarah Rose. The timing was incredible. When I started it I had no idea I would be finishing it on D-Day. No idea. 

The book was all true, the names weren't changed to protect the innocent, lol. It was interesting and informative. The girls were hired as spies in the Resistance. I appreciated the author's efforts and work that must have taken years. I just wish she had told us more of what the girls actually did. The  part of the ones imprisoned was very real and unsettling. If you want details leading up to D-Day you'll like this.  I loved how the PTB said women can't do this. mmmm-hmmmmm

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

This week I finished What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty and The 8th Confession by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro.

I am currently reading  Apollyon by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.  This is part of the Left Behind Series.

@icezeus  What Alice Forgot is one of my all time favorite books!

Respected Contributor

I just finished The 9th Girl by Tami Hoag.  I liked Nora Roberston (J. D. Robb) and Sue Grafton's mysteries, and I have just recently discovered Tami Hoag. And her dectective stories are just as good or better than the other ones.  The 9th Girl is about two detectives trying to solve a murder, which looked like the work of a serial killer, while trying to prevent another murder. It is action packed and suspenseful. 

I finished Lucky's Girl, also by Tami Hoag, not too long ago. This one is Romance, and it is good, too.  I am going to the library this weekend to get more Tami Hoag books.

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Judaline, I also thought One Thousand White Women was dull, but there are many who revere it.

@insomniac2  - I've never "revered" a book (or anything else for that matter), but I can honestly say I absolutely adored One Thousand White Women.

Although fictional, the book was based on fact, and I learned a lot about the Indians and how poorly they were treated by our government at that time. I thought it was beautifully written and I've recommended it to every one of my reading friends, who felt the same way I did. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

The Mother-In-Law by Sally Hepworth was suggested as a beach read. (thumbs up).

The Last Night Out by Catherine O'Connell reminded me of what I disliked about the 80's (thumbs down).