Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? JUNE 2017

@DukeBlueNan I was literally just notified that this book, "Before The Fall"  is in at the library for me to pick up.

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

I just finished listening to Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (soon to be a major motion picture produced by Reese Witherspoon).  I see somebody just recently provided a summary above, so I will not repeat that poster.

I will say the following two things:

1) The narrator was very good, for those who like to listen to audiobooks

2)  Some of the reviews reference things like "move over Ove", or make other such comments that may lead the reader to feel that the novel is in the same vein as that book and others like it.  But, IMO, this is a complete falsehood.  Eleanor Oliphant is sometimes a very sad and difficult book to read.  In fact, the book kind of came to a screeching halt in the middle and was filled with some very dark concepts.  It's a more serious book that deals with somebody who lived through a terrible event. 

This is not a light comedy - and there is nothing wrong with that.  But, I had slightly different expectations for the book given some of the reviews.  Luckily, the book was interesting and well-written or else I would have been very disappointed.

hi @Alter Ego -  I hate when reviewers compare new books to other successful ones. I actually first noticed this happening during the Gone Girl phenomena. Because it was so successful, every mystery coming out was compared to it. Being I disliked Gone Girl, this was not a good recommendation for me.

Oh, boy, that makes two of us. After trying to read The Girl on the Train, I stopped reading anything with girl in the title. They are all trying to be like each other. IMO, each other were no good.

Trusted Contributor

Let me know what you think @CareBears!

Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan I have 3 books to read ahead of it, so it might be awhile, LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

I just finished listening to Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (soon to be a major motion picture produced by Reese Witherspoon).  I see somebody just recently provided a summary above, so I will not repeat that poster.

I will say the following two things:

1) The narrator was very good, for those who like to listen to audiobooks

2)  Some of the reviews reference things like "move over Ove", or make other such comments that may lead the reader to feel that the novel is in the same vein as that book and others like it.  But, IMO, this is a complete falsehood.  Eleanor Oliphant is sometimes a very sad and difficult book to read.  In fact, the book kind of came to a screeching halt in the middle and was filled with some very dark concepts.  It's a more serious book that deals with somebody who lived through a terrible event. 

This is not a light comedy - and there is nothing wrong with that.  But, I had slightly different expectations for the book given some of the reviews.  Luckily, the book was interesting and well-written or else I would have been very disappointed.

hi @Alter Ego -  I hate when reviewers compare new books to other successful ones. I actually first noticed this happening during the Gone Girl phenomena. Because it was so successful, every mystery coming out was compared to it. Being I disliked Gone Girl, this was not a good recommendation for me.

Being Ove was so loved by so many, I guess the reviewers are jumping on the bandwagon. I don't see the comparison myself, but I just reserved Eleanor Oliphant from the library.

LOL - I liked "Gone Girl", so I read plenty of poor imposters!  And then they tacked "Girl on a Train" on when that became it's own beast. (which I also liked!  I really do kind of like most things...)

I admit that I may not have delved so deeply into what Oliphant was about, perhaps letting Reese and these few critiques sway me.  The comparisons come because she isn't an easy person to be around - what did one reviewer say - there's a new curmudgeon in town?  But there was just something about Ove and Arthur Pepper that was...lighter.  It was immediatly evident that they had good hearts.

Regardless, it was a good book and I hope everyone who will read it, enjoys it!

Honored Contributor

I'm still reading Augustin'e City of God ... heavy duty reading!  Easily another month or so to go.

The other night, I downloaded a Kindle version of 11 of Robert Hugh Benson's books.  I've already read his "Lord of the World."  (Englishman, died 1914)

Also reading a biography of Fr. Solanus Casey, and Robney Stark's  "Bearing False Witness:  Debunking Centuries of Anti-Catholic History."

I always have several books goiing at one time.

Respected Contributor

Alratiba, I found your current selection of books very interesting.

I'm a devoted fan of Robert Hugh Benson's brother's books (E.F. Benson), and own well over 100. I've also read about Father Solanus Casey (my church had a field trip to his home base a few years ago; unfortunately, I was unable to participate). I have read a portion of St. Augustine's confessions (very hard-going). I also read several books at a time.

I'll be keeping an eye out on any updates from you!

Valued Contributor

Today I began House of Names by Colm Toibin.

From the thrilling imagination of bestselling, award-winning Colm Tóibín comes a retelling of the story of Clytemnestra—spectacularly audacious, violent, vengeful, lustful, and instantly compelling—and her children.

I chose this book because I enjoy Colm Toibin's writing and Classical Literature was one of my favorite classes in college....way back when.

Trusted Contributor

Murder Runs in the Family by Anne George

Third in the southern sisters series.

Esteemed Contributor

I just got The Fix by David Baldacci, so I started it last night. I've been following the last two Amos Decker books and enjoyed them very much. I hope this one is as good as the others. Anyone read it yet?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett