Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? JUNE 2017

I just finished Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker, and enjoyed it.  Mr. Rochester narrates his life story from childhood through the events in Jane Eyre.  This novel creates a back story to "explain" much of what Mr. Rochester did  and said in Charlotte Bronte's work.

If you like this type of novel that plays on a classic, I highly recommend Pamela Aidan's trilogy, An Assembly Such As This; Duty and Desire and These Three Remain which re-tell Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's perspective.  These books are true to the original storyline but also fill in the times when Elizabeth and Darcy are apart (although some of the plot in the second book seems a bit convoluted until you read the third book).

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I just started One Perfect Lie (Lisa Scottoline) and

Dance of Death (Agent Pendergast #6).

Super Contributor

I'm reading Andy Warhol was a Hoarder (inside the Minds of History's Great Personalities) by Claudia Kalb.  It's an excellent book if you like to know what makes people tick.

Trusted Contributor

LADY OF THE HOUSE by E. N. Joy--I had no idea what this wasgoing to be about since it was Christian Fiction.  I am a little over halfway through it and so far it is okay.  Can't say that I'd recommend it.  A female pastor ends up going on a reality show in order to find a mate/husband.  Pastor Margie feels that God really did send oher on this assignment but why??

Honored Contributor

I'm reading FIRST COMES LOVE by Emily Giffin. I'm 1/3 of the way and am enjoying it very much. An easy read.

"Meredith thought she'd done it all right - married the perfect man, had the perfect daughter - but as she grows increasingly restless, she can't help but wonder if she got the love part wrong. Josie has been happily single for years, but she wants a child of her own so much she's one bad Match.com date away from heading straight for the baby carriage all on her own. The sisters, whose relationship was strained by the tragic death of their older brother over a decade ago, find that they need each other more than they realized"-- Provided by publisher.

Valued Contributor

@tobe wrote:

THE RADIUM GIRLS:THE DARK STORY OF AMERICA'S SHINING WOMEN   author is Kate Moore

History, and therefore, a true story of many young women, most just out of high school who were hired by a company to paint radium onto the dials of watches.  In the early 20th century, radium had been touted as the wonder of wonders.  In reality, it was very dangerous and exposure brought deadly results.  This is a book about these women, their exposure, the harrowing results and their fight for justice dealing with the courts and corporate greed.  This book will stay with you!  The author did a good job in describing what these women went through and how they actually "glowed" in the dark!

@tobe:  Wow! I think my book club might like to read this! Thanks for a great suggestion!

Honored Contributor

@tobe wrote:

THE RADIUM GIRLS:THE DARK STORY OF AMERICA'S SHINING WOMEN   author is Kate Moore

History, and therefore, a true story of many young women, most just out of high school who were hired by a company to paint radium onto the dials of watches.  In the early 20th century, radium had been touted as the wonder of wonders.  In reality, it was very dangerous and exposure brought deadly results.  This is a book about these women, their exposure, the harrowing results and their fight for justice dealing with the courts and corporate greed.  This book will stay with you!  The author did a good job in describing what these women went through and how they actually "glowed" in the dark!

I loved this book.  Highly recommend it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen

This book is first in Molly Murphy Mystery series. It's not a new series but I'd not seen it before and really did like the book.

Also finished My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry 

I don't know why I read the entire book. Wasn't too bad. Not the best. Just had to read to the end! 

Valued Contributor

@MeemaJoan  Thank you for replying. I'm going to quit, and send it back to the library. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

@MeemaJoan  Thank you for replying. I'm going to quit, and send it back to the library. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

@CatLoverDogsToo

@MeemaJoan

Funny thing about The Circle. It wasn't my choice to read, but it was chosen by my reading group, so I read it. I didn't enjoy it much; actually I thought it was really stupid. But, the funny thing was, the book was living inside my head for about a week after I was done, and in that time I realized I enjoyed it very much.  

So, for whatever it's worth, I enjoyed it way more after I thought about it. I still think that's very strange.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett