Esteemed Contributor

What Are You Reading? JUNE 2017

Happy JUNE 2017 to all of our reading friends!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Please include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same, or similar title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one!)

Post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why. No need to post the cover.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life more enjoyable for all of us here. 

And please, NO SPOILERS**

If you have any suggestions, please shout it out, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? JUNE 2017

I've been listening to digital books on my IPhone lately.  It's so convenient to order them on line, and have them at the ready when I'm gardening or working in the kitchen.  Currently I'm hearing the newest Miss Julia, "Miss Julia Weather's the Storm".  As usual, Ann B. Ross makes it a fun read- perfect for a summer vacation!

Respected Contributor

I love the Miss Julia series and I just finished reading the latest one .

Valued Contributor

June reading list:   Never Let You Go  by  Chevy Stevens  

One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline

Her Every Fear   by Peter Swanson

The Violated  by Bill Pronzini  

The Wages of Sin  by Kati Walsh

The Family Tree  by Karen Branan

Into The Water  by Paula Hawkins

The Fix    by David Baldacci

I started The CIrcle  by Dave Eggers yesterday, and I just cannot get interested in it. If anyone has read it, what are your opinions? I hate to give up on a book, but I may have to.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

CLAUDE AND CAMILLE, A NOVEL OF MONET,  by Stephanie Cowell.

A novel about the rise of Impressionism and the romance of Claude Monet and Camille Doncieux.  Enjoyable light reading.

Respected Contributor

My husband is finishing Born To Run (Bruce Springsteen), and so far,  has really liked the book.  I'm next!

Trusted Contributor

I just started reading A Test of Wills by Charles Todd.  It's a historical whodunit and the first book in the Inspector Rutledge mystery series, set in 1919 post-WWI Warwickshire, England.  So far, very good.

Frequent Contributor

THE RADIUM GIRLS:THE DARK STORY OF AMERICA'S SHINING WOMEN   author is Kate Moore

History, and therefore, a true story of many young women, most just out of high school who were hired by a company to paint radium onto the dials of watches.  In the early 20th century, radium had been touted as the wonder of wonders.  In reality, it was very dangerous and exposure brought deadly results.  This is a book about these women, their exposure, the harrowing results and their fight for justice dealing with the courts and corporate greed.  This book will stay with you!  The author did a good job in describing what these women went through and how they actually "glowed" in the dark!

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn  Thank you so much for reminding me I cannot believe it was time for a new one.  Just put a hold on it at the library to pick up this afternoon.  I cannot believe it is available.  Love Miss. Julia and this board for keeping us so informed @sunala

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

I read the Circle quite awhile ago.  You don't need to finish it.  I read the entire book but got bored with it.