Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? JUNE 2017

Vacation day 1 and one book down. To be fair, it was a short, easy read and I did have it started.

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS by B.A. Paris. I bought it because it was kind of an "it" book last year and Amazon had something like a $1.99 sale on it at year end. Didn't like it for a few reasons and that's probably all I'm going to say about it. Happy I didn't pay full price.
Valued Contributor

I am reading The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.  It's ok, but, coming toward the last part of the book, I am tempted to look ahead and see the ending.  I'm kind of tired of the main character.

Also got No Middle Name, a collection of short stories of Jack Reacher by Lee Child.  They short and satisfying!  Lovin' me some JR.   

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
Vacation day 1 and one book down. To be fair, it was a short, easy read and I did have it started.

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS by B.A. Paris. I bought it because it was kind of an "it" book last year and Amazon had something like a $1.99 sale on it at year end. Didn't like it for a few reasons and that's probably all I'm going to say about it. Happy I didn't pay full price.

I'm reading BEHIND CLOSED DOORS now -- not sure what to make of it yet.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished SINCE WE FELL by Dennis Lehane.  Not much happens until you're a third of the way into the book (I was ready to pull the plug) and then the story picks up.  Good but not his best.

Respected Contributor

I finished Dance of Death, an exciting installment in the Agent Pendergast series.  It was a page turner, and the 2nd of the Diogenes Trilogy.  I'm looking forward to the next one. 

I also read The Quiet Game (Greg Isles), the first in the Penn Cage series, and and found it just ok.  I'm hoping subsequent books are more to my liking.

And I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane (Lisa See).  It's an interesting look at the culture of a minority group living in southwest China and the importance of tea to their lives. 

Regular Contributor

Hello!

I am a huge mystery fan....novels, TV shows, movies, etc. I love it all. Like most mystery buffs, I love Agatha Christie and just finished "Murder on the Orient Express".  In my opinion, it was great, just as her other novels are. 

Yesterday, I just started reading "Magpie Murders" by Anthony Horowitz. I decided to read it bc as I was finishing up Orient Express, I found this new mystery novel that was described as a "mystery inside of a mystery" as it starts out with an editor for a publishing co reading a new murder mystery manuscript (which you actually get to read as well) and then as she is reading it, apparently discovers that this is a somewhat true story. It was also described as a throw back to the classic "whodunits" of the Agatha Christie era...so I picked it up right away.

Again, just started it, but really like the author's writing style so far!

Regular Contributor

@Alter Ego Just started this book...so glad you enjoyed it. Liking it so farSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@tansy

I read a little over 70 pages of that book and gave up.  I just could not get into it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Which book, @DiAnne?  Since We Fell or Behind Closed Doors?

Lstely I am having difficulty finding a book I really enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@tansy

Since We Fell.  Sorry for thinking you were a mind reader!  I have a hard time reading in the summer for some reason.