Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~~What Are You Reading? JULY 2017~~

[ Edited ]

@Judaline@sunala, hoping @LoriLori has a speedy recovery.  Missing her reviews!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

hi @Judaline - thanks for sending lori my best get-well wishes!

It's certainly allowed to hate a book on this site. We've all hated certain books (not too many, I hope), and it's fine to talk about our experience. What's bad is insulting the people who loved it and/or recommended it, which we'd never do anyway.

So, hate away Woman LOL

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Since you said it's ok to hate a book I really didn't like The Shack. Maybe it was all the hype it just didn't do anything for me.i know there's a thread for it but it's older and I didn't see the need in bringing it back just to say I didn't like it. 

I'm currently reading Gone To Dust by Liliana Hart. I'm liking it so far. I just finished Two Days Gone by Randall Silvis. It was a good book but the begging is pretty shocking. 

Valued Contributor

I've read two more in the "Dog Lady Mystery" series by Ellen Carlsen- both good!

I am in the middle of David McCullough's John Adams. It is outstanding.  What a brilliant, dedicated, honorable man and much underrated.  I have high respect for him.

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1  The dog lady mysteries sound very good. I just put Redbud on my list. I read the review-it had me from ''waking up with dogs all over her bed''- hahaha.

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

It's certainly allowed to hate a book on this site. We've all hated certain books (not too many, I hope), and it's fine to talk about our experience. What's bad is insulting the people who loved it and/or recommended it, which we'd never do anyway.

So, hate away Woman LOL

Well, I don't like the hate word but when it comes to books there's just no other way to say it. I hated The Reliable Wife. I won't even bold it. Everyone in it was loathsome. Most books, I either love them or say it was ok or it was great or it was boring and on and on. And I really don't know why I kept reading. But you know Goolrick. He's always got you for one reason or another. You need to know how this book is going to turn out. I'm not the kind of person who will read the last page. It's either PTBM or skip pages. 

Right now I'm reading, Before the Fall. It's about a private plane crashing into the ocean and  a man and little boy are the only survivors  (complete strangers and the boy is only 4). The beginning of the book got right to it. Very exciting. I love the 2 main characters. So I'm loving this book and what happens? We start going back and reading about each person on that plane. I don't like this in a book. But it's kind of a mystery and why they think the plane may have been sabotaged so it's all going to play a part. So I will keep reading.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala wrote:

So, hate away Woman LOL

Well, I don't like the hate word but when it comes to books there's just no other way to say it. I hated The Reliable Wife. I won't even bold it. Everyone in it was loathsome. Most books, I either love them or say it was ok or it was great or it was boring and on and on. And I really don't know why I kept reading. But you know Goolrick. He's always got you for one reason or another. You need to know how this book is going to turn out. I'm not the kind of person who will read the last page. It's either PTBM or skip pages. 

Right now I'm reading, Before the Fall. It's about a private plane crashing into the ocean and  a man and little boy are the only survivors  (complete strangers and the boy is only 4). The beginning of the book got right to it. Very exciting. I love the 2 main characters. So I'm loving this book and what happens? We start going back and reading about each person on that plane. I don't like this in a book. But it's kind of a mystery and why they think the plane may have been sabotaged so it's all going to play a part. So I will keep reading.

@Judaline- yes I agree with your opinion of The Reliable Wife. I thought it could have been so much better because the premise was good, but either he didn't know how to improve the characters and the plot, or he liked what he wrote.

However, I have to admit I did enjoy his second book, Heading out to Wonderful. I really enjoyed it. I found it hard to believe that these two books were written by the same author. Did you read it? You might be pleasantly surprised. 

I read After the Fall several months ago and I enjoyed it very much. Please let us know what you think when you're done?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

more audio book holds came in  I like Hillbilly Elegy a lot more listening to it than reading it and usually I don't like authors reading their own books.

Product DetailsProduct Details

Honored Contributor

PRINCESS DRACULA by John Patrick Kennedy  I'm not that far in, so no review. It's certainly different than what I thought it would be. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala 

Well, I'm ahead of you, sunny. I promised never to read another Goolrick book and when I picked up Heading Out to Wonderful  it was quite a while later and I didn't make the connection. I really liked this one!!! But it's against my priciples to read a second book by an author whose first book I hated. Too late! I did it. And enjoyed it. So maybe I'll bend that rule a little in future. Maybe.