Esteemed Contributor

What Are You Reading? CLOSED-JULY 2017

[ Edited ]

Happy JULY 2017 to all of our reading friends!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Please include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same, or similar title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one!)

Post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why. No need to post the cover.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life more enjoyable for all of us here. 

And please, NO SPOILERS**

If you have any suggestions, please shout it out, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: ~~What Are You Reading? JULY 2017~~

I am reading Joyland by Stephen King.  I am only about 100 pages in but so far, I really like it.  It also has pictures which is unsual.  I will not spoil for those who have not read but it is about an old amusement park and a young man who gets a summer job there.  I love the way the characters are described and I can just picture the park, etc. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

I just finished "Camino Island" by John Grisham.  Big fan of Grisham, but didn't really enjoy this one.  Like his "lawyer" stories better.

Also finished "Full Wolf Moon" by Lincoln Child.  It was OK.

Now reading "Mad River" by John Sandford.  Love Virgil Flowers.

Super Contributor

Almost finished with "Karolina's Twins" by Ronald Balson. It is so good. I can't put it down.  He is the author of "Once We Were Brothers," one of the best books I have ever read. Great author!

Frequent Contributor

A PIECE OF THE WORLD by Christiana Baker Kline     This is a historical fiction about the woman, Christiana, who is the woman in Andrew Wyeth's New England painting.  The book is the lonely life she probably led.  Historical in her surroundings, crippling physical condition, family, and fictional in her yearnings, thoughts, etc.  Very well written and had me by the first page!

I am also reading THE KILLING OF KAREN SILKWOOD: THE STORY BEHIND THE KERR McGEE PLUTONIUM CASE by Richard Rashke.   I saw this movie in the early 1980's, but have forgotten a lot of the details.  This book is historical and investigative and goes into more than the movie did.  Karen Silkwood was a whistle blower who worked for the Kerr McGee plant in Oklahoma.  Very interesting and revealing concerning dangerous corporate greed and negligence.  

Super Contributor

A few Ms Marvel graphic novels by Willow Wilson.  

The Greatest show on earth by Richard Dawkins.  He's explaining evolution.

Respected Contributor

@tobe wrote:

A PIECE OF THE WORLD by Christiana Baker Kline     This is a historical fiction about the woman, Christiana, who is the woman in Andrew Wyeth's New England painting.  The book is the lonely life she probably led.  Historical in her surroundings, crippling physical condition, family, and fictional in her yearnings, thoughts, etc.  Very well written and had me by the first page!

I am also reading THE KILLING OF KAREN SILKWOOD: THE STORY BEHIND THE KERR McGEE PLUTONIUM CASE by Richard Rashke.   I saw this movie in the early 1980's, but have forgotten a lot of the details.  This book is historical and investigative and goes into more than the movie did.  Karen Silkwood was a whistle blower who worked for the Kerr McGee plant in Oklahoma.  Very interesting and revealing concerning dangerous corporate greed and negligence.  

@tobe; Silkwood is one of my all-time favorite movies!  I will have to read the book you referenced, thanks!

Respected Contributor

I have just started HERE AND GONE by HAYLEN BECK.  This book has taken off from page one!  I will have this one finished by tomorrow; stay tuned!  

Trusted Contributor

Nancy Thayer's ~ Secrets in Summer

Really enjoying it : )

Honored Contributor

@appm wrote:

I just finished "Camino Island" by John Grisham.  Big fan of Grisham, but didn't really enjoy this one.  Like his "lawyer" stories better.

Also finished "Full Wolf Moon" by Lincoln Child.  It was OK.

Now reading "Mad River" by John Sandford.  Love Virgil Flowers.

@appm

I like Virgil Flowers also.  There is a new book coming this year called Deep Freeze.  My library has it on order and I have a hold.