Trusted Contributor

Re: ~~What Are You Reading? JULY 2017~~

I like the "song talking", too @dawg lover.  Wish I was that clever!

Super Contributor

Continuing my nerdy theme,  I'm reading Sapeins: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.   I have to say, I'm liking it so far.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished listening to The Alice Network (#rwbookclub) by Kate Quinn.  

On her way to getting a little problem "taken care of", a pregnant teen runs away from her mother to search for her beloved cousin in France, missing since the end of WWII.  Her quest first brings her to a bitter ex-British spy, who has her own reason for helping the young American.  The chapters switch between the two women - going back and forth between the present and past, until the end when the two meet.

Several reviewers say it only got better, and I kind of disagree.  I felt the end was a little too "Hollywood".  An otherwise good book that introduces us to the highly effective network of WWI spies led by the incredible Louise de Bettignies. I'm just not sure whether everyone would like the ending.

There was only one narrator on the audiobook and I thought she did a wonderful job with the different voices and accents.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Go Slow by Michael Owen, a biography about Julie London.  I learned a lot about her life that's for sure.  She was a singer before she was an actress and I only knew and her 2nd husband from Emergency.

Not sure what I'll be reading next.  So many to choose from.  I've decided to read Take Out by Margaret Maron (mystery).  I won from a publisher.  Never read her books before but looking forward to it after reading 3 books in a row about women (and nf too).  Time for a change.

Respected Contributor

I read The River At Night (Erica Ferencik) and it was just ok.  The same for The Orphan's Tale (Pam Jenoff).  Just ok.  I thought the characters were poorly developed and the writing on both was uninspired.

I also read The Book of the Dead (7th Agent Pendergast) and what a ride!  The last several chapters left me breathless.  These guys know how to write.

Now I'm reading The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley (Hannah Tinti) and enjoying it very much.  The story is intriguing, and, while I normally don't like stories that go back and forth between time lines, the author is doing it so skillfully, I have to applaud her writing style.

I'm half way through The Chalk Pit (Elly Griffiths) and love this 9th entry into the Ruth Galloway series.  I adore these characters and don't want the book to end.     

Valued Contributor

I am about 50% through Kiss Carlo by A. Trigiani.

So far I am enjoying the book both because I come from an Italian-American family who split as a result of joint ownership of a business and because I enjoy Shakespeare, especially his comedies.

The family dinners and customs remind me of my childhood.

Esteemed Contributor

Today I finished The New Neighbor by Leah Stewart.

If you want to be bored to tears by dreary, unlikeable characters, please feel free to waste your hard-earned money and read it.

Even if you can get it for free, DON'T waste your time!

Stupid me, I kept thinking it would get better, but it definitely did not.

On to a book I will love. I'm not giving another book such leeway to get better. Either I'm going to love it or it's gone!

Have a great weekend!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Today I finished The New Neighbor by Leah Stewart.

If you want to be bored to tears by dreary, unlikeable characters, please feel free to waste your hard-earned money and read it.

Even if you can get it for free, DON'T waste your time!

Stupid me, I kept thinking it would get better, but it definitely did not.

On to a book I will love. I'm not giving another book such leeway to get better. Either I'm going to love it or it's gone!

Have a great weekend!

I thought I had this on my tbr list but thankfully I don't but I do have her other one -- The History of Us. 

Honored Contributor

@SWEET  OMgosh, you didn't know Julie London was a singer??? You must be reeeeeely young. Just 'Cry Me a River'!  I loved her. As an actress she wasn't bad, but as a singer, wow. What does she say about Jack Webb if I may ask?

Trusted Contributor

I just finished 2 books and enjoyed them both:  "DARK SATURDAY" by Nicci French (the latest Frieda Klein thriller) and "A DISTANT VIEW OF EVERYTHING" by Alexander McCall Smith(the latest Isabel Dalhousie mystery).

@smoky22 - now I will have to wait until January to read the Frieda Klein "Sunday" book!  Glad you are enjoying the Elly Griffiths book.  It is On Order by my library, but apparently it is crossing the pond in a rowboat, since it is coming so slowly!