Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~~What Are You Reading? JULY 2017~~

@DiAnne wrote:

This is the best book I have read in awhile.  Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue.  It is her debut novel and I hope she writes more!

At the intersection of "Americanah" and "The Help" comes a riveting debut novel about two marriages - one immigrant and working class, the other from the top 1% - both chasing their version of the American Dream. In the fall of 2007, Jende Jonga, a Cameroonian immigrant living in Harlem, lands a job as a chauffeur for Clark Edwards, a senior executive at Lehman Brothers. Their situation only improves when Jende's wife Neni is hired as household help. But in the course of their work, Jende and Neni begin to witness infidelities, skirmishes, and family secrets. Then, with the 2008 collapse of Lehman Brothers, a tragedy changes all four lives forever, and the Jongas must decide whether to continue fighting to stay in a recession-ravaged America or give up and return home to Cameroon.

@DiAnne- I read this book last September, and I absolutely adored it! Even though it's been almost a year, the book sometimes comes back to me in flashbacks. I loved all the characters; they all meant well and were good people, but sadly, circumstances prevented them all from living the life they chose. I cried at the ending, which isn't easy for me unless it really touches me.

I recently found out that Oprah chose it as her newest book club selection. I was happy to hear that, because now more people will read this excellent book.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

Trying to think of the name or author of this book. A hairdresser, a black girl, and and older lady, a white lady, wealthy as I recall, travel somewhere together for the funeral of an old beau of the white lady's. It's a long journey and they find out a lot about each other. It was so good and I like the author but forget her name. Thanks-sorry for the sparse information but that's all I remember.

@Judaline Is it Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler?

@abbalulu- @Judaline Thanks for reminding me of this book. I just loved it!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

Just finished Little Girl Gone by Gerry Schmitt. Gerry also writes the only cozy series that I read. Lauran Childs Tea Shoppe mysteries. It is a huge departure and I can't wait to read her other book in the series 

@beckyb1012 @CareBears

I just loaded At Home in Mitford - the 1st in the series by Jan Karon due to your high praise of the series. 

I started rereading last weekend on the cool down portion of my daily bike riding and I have thought of you every morning for the past week.  I hope you enjoy. @Yahooey 

@beckyb1012@CareBears

I'm 1/3 of the way through, and while I'm enchanted by the setting, I'm not getting it. I want something to happen. I only read 1 cozy mystery series and it is set in Charleston at a tea shoppe. So while I'm enthralled by the scones and clotted cream they serve, the proprietor is chasing down a bad guy down the cobblestones with the moon shining. lol

I will finish the book and it is a very long book. I would love to visit a place like that but I couldn't live there. It must be the NYC in me. I'm so glad you both enjoyed the series so much and shared your thoguhts with me. I really appreciate it. 

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

Just finished Little Girl Gone by Gerry Schmitt. Gerry also writes the only cozy series that I read. Lauran Childs Tea Shoppe mysteries. It is a huge departure and I can't wait to read her other book in the series 

@beckyb1012 @CareBears

I just loaded At Home in Mitford - the 1st in the series by Jan Karon due to your high praise of the series. 

I started rereading last weekend on the cool down portion of my daily bike riding and I have thought of you every morning for the past week.  I hope you enjoy. @Yahooey 

@beckyb1012@CareBears

I'm 1/3 of the way through, and while I'm enchanted by the setting, I'm not getting it. I want something to happen. I only read 1 cozy mystery series and it is set in Charleston at a tea shoppe. So while I'm enthralled by the scones and clotted cream they serve, the proprietor is chasing down a bad guy down the cobblestones with the moon shining. lol

I will finish the book and it is a very long book. I would love to visit a place like that but I couldn't live there. It must be the NYC in me. I'm so glad you both enjoyed the series so much and shared your thoguhts with me. I really appreciate it. 

@Yahooey@CareBearsI understand what you are saying.  I enjoy the series as an escape from the real world.  Just a touch of calm, peace and lots of good eating instead of hustle and bustle.  Glad you gave it a try.  You never know where a favorite my come from if we do not try.  I am so thankful I gave Laura Childs a try years ago.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Just started The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.  Very intriguing spy story set in England in World War I and just after WWII. (Two parallel stories.)  If you love this type of novel, look for this one. Very well written and fast moving. The background on the training of female spies is fascinating.

Trusted Contributor

New Tricks by David Rosenfelt

For those of you who may not be familiar with this author, his Andy Carpenter series always center around a dog! Gotta love that. 

Valued Contributor

It is hard to believe that I have never read any of Dean Koontz's books, since he has written dozens, but I haven't until now.  It is called Silent Corner, and boy is it good!  I am about half way, and really intrigued by it.  I am definitely going to read more of his books. Any other Dean Koontz fans out there?

Trusted Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

It is hard to believe that I have never read any of Dean Koontz's books, since he has written dozens, but I haven't until now.  It is called Silent Corner, and boy is it good!  I am about half way, and really intrigued by it.  I am definitely going to read more of his books. Any other Dean Koontz fans out there?

I have been reading Dean Koontz off and on for years.  Silent Corner is on my TBR list. One of my early favorites of his is The Watchers with the dog Einstein. His Odd Thomas series is also on my TBR list which is a very long list. Just not enough time to read all the books that I want to read.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

New Tricks by David Rosenfelt

For those of you who may not be familiar with this author, his Andy Carpenter series always center around a dog! Gotta love that. 

@DukeBlueNan - I really enjoy David Rosenfelt's books as well.  I just read his new one, "COLLARED", and there were so many funny quips by Andy.  The ending was a bit convoluted, but 99% of the book was good.

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline You're welcome. That book is also on my TBR list and when you mentioned it somehow the title just popped into my brain. I always like stories where two people from different backgrounds take a road trip so maybe that's what stuck in my mind. Hopefully she will write a future book that is just as good.  

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx