Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? December 2018

@SXMGirl wrote:

I just started reading Debbie Macomber's Starry Night:  A Christmas Novel.  This is the first book of hers that I have read, but it had a really good rating, so I might continue with her books if I like it.

@SXMGirl . . . .   I just finished her book Choir of Angels. A trio of Christmas themed stories about Angels answering Christmas prayers, it was quite a departure from my usual books. I found it uplifting, comforting and thoroughly enjoyable!

Hugs . . .Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@q-girl, thank you for the recommendation!   I did enjoy Starry Night, so I will give your recommendation a try.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I read Antiques Knock Off by Barbara Allen. I always enjoy the books in this series especially the dog, Sushi.

I also read Start Without Me by Joshua Max Feldman and it took me forever to finish it. It was kind of a depressing book about two messed up strangers who met on Thanksgiving Day. The book follows them throughout the day when their lives intersect.

Now I am just looking forward to reading some light holiday themed books for the rest of the year.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Valued Contributor

@tansyThanks so much for the welcome! Glad to hear you liked my current read. I see a few posts about some Debbie Macomer Christmas books. I love to read at least one each holiday book each season, and these sound right up my alley.

A Kindle I ordered should be ariving by the weekend, and I hope I'll be able to figure out how to use it. I've been told I'd hate it at first, there was a learning curve, and that I'd like it after the curve!  Yikes! Hoping for the best. pinky

Contributor

@Catty2. Thanks to this book club, I am reading The Story of Arthur Truluv, and I have laughed and cried.  I plan to get the sequel.  Wonderful book.

Honored Contributor

FYI Diane Setterfield's "Once Upon a River" was published today.  It's about people in small towns up and down the Thames.  It's a great story with lots of characters to love and an interesting mystery.  It's the only book I ever won on Goodreads and I feel so lucky and I love it.

Super Contributor

@GingerPeach Love Nick Petrie.  I haven't read Tear it Down.  I'll look for it.

Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

@GingerPeach Love Nick Petrie.  I haven't read Tear it Down.  I'll look for it.

Hi @kitty45

I should have clarified that Tear It Down hasn't been released yet.  But early 2019 so right around the corner.  

What a good guy Peter Ash (main character) is.  And that Lewis!  

I do love good people doing good things - against tough odds.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading A Man called Ove, and it's Ok, but I"m  not overwhelmed with it. I know that I'm in the minority, that many people loved it and it got great reviews on goodreads. Maybe it's the style of writing, I don't know. I just can't relate to the characters, or feel much for Ove. I'll continue reading the book for a few more chapters, maybe I'll change my mind. However, I expected more from it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 I finished  Something in the Water this afternoon. You are absolutely right; I was not disappointed!!!

Even with the "give away" at the beginning, the plot kept me guessing throughout the book.

Up next is Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield.  I really enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale and hope that this book will be just as good.

@lorilori:  We will have to compare notes on this book!

Happy that you won it on Goodreads!