Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? December 2018

[ Edited ]

Finished Talk To Me by John Kenney.  It was just ok.

Onto Only In Key West by Kenneth J. Michaels, a mystery.

This will probably be my last book in 2018. 

Respected Contributor

I am 66% through Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. So far, I am enjoying it.📚👍🏻

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Catty2,
I read about the first 50 pages of Nine Perfect Strangers and could not force myself to read one page more. Back it went.

Esteemed Contributor

This week I finished The Short Forever by Stuart Woods and The 5th Horseman by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. 

I am currently reading "Pray for Silence" by Linda Castillo. I am on vacation or as I call it a Staycation until January 7th, so I will probably knock out a few books during this upcoming week.. 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield and, for the most part, I enjoyed it.  The mystery of where a little girl belongs is only part of the story, as information is peeled away in this well written tale.  I can honestly say that I really liked (LIKED, in caps!) many of the characters - especially Robert Armstrong, Rita and Daunt.  (Seriously, does anyone not like Armstrong?)  Many times I read (or listen to, mostly in my case) a book and the characters don't connect as strongly as these did.

The only reason I said "for the most part" is merely because listening with sometimes less than 100% may not be ideal to catch everything.  In addition, the narrator (who is very good - not faulting her) had a deeper voice than the book I had just finished. I wasn't immediately engaged and it took me a while to get into it.  

For Eleanor Oliphant fans - not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but a screen adaption is getting closer.  MGM is teaming up with Reese Witherspoon and her production company.  Now I like Reese and she is the one that originally introduced me to Eleanor via her book club, but the article mentions that the movie is a potential staring role for her.  I simply can't picture Reese as Eleanor!

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy!  Due this summer!!!

A DANGEROUS MAN.jpgA brilliant new crime novel from the beloved, bestselling, and award-winning master of the genre–and Joe Pike’s most perilous case to date.

Joe Pike didn’t expect to rescue a woman that day. He went to the bank same as anyone goes to the bank, and returned to his Jeep. So when Isabel Roland, the lonely young teller who helped him, steps out of the bank on her way to lunch, Joe is on hand when two men abduct her. Joe chases them down, and the two men are arrested. But instead of putting the drama to rest, the arrests are only the beginning of the trouble for Joe and Izzy.

After posting bail, the two abductors are murdered and Izzy disappears. Pike calls on his friend, Elvis Cole, to help learn the truth. What Elvis uncovers is a twisted family story that involves corporate whistleblowing, huge amounts of cash, the Witness Relocation Program, and a long line of lies. But what of all that did Izzy know? Is she a perpetrator or a victim? And how far will Joe go to find out?

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I finished listening to Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield and, for the most part, I enjoyed it.  The mystery of where a little girl belongs is only part of the story, as information is peeled away in this well written tale.  I can honestly say that I really liked (LIKED, in caps!) many of the characters - especially Robert Armstrong, Rita and Daunt.  (Seriously, does anyone not like Armstrong?)  Many times I read (or listen to, mostly in my case) a book and the characters don't connect as strongly as these did.

The only reason I said "for the most part" is merely because listening with sometimes less than 100% may not be ideal to catch everything.  In addition, the narrator (who is very good - not faulting her) had a deeper voice than the book I had just finished. I wasn't immediately engaged and it took me a while to get into it.  

For Eleanor Oliphant fans - not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but a screen adaption is getting closer.  MGM is teaming up with Reese Witherspoon and her production company.  Now I like Reese and she is the one that originally introduced me to Eleanor via her book club, but the article mentions that the movie is a potential staring role for her.  I simply can't picture Reese as Eleanor!

@Alter Ego- I absolutely loved Eleanor Oliphant. Matter of fact, it was in the top few books I read in 2018. However, I'm not sure I'd want to watch a movie adaptation of the book, although I do like Reese. I think I just want to think of the way I imagined the characters to look in the book, and not see her looking like Reese, who is adorable but not an Eleanor to me.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

Oh my gosh, @Alter Ego  I'm almost finished with this book.  I'm so glad you didn't tell me how it ends.  Unless there is a terrible ending, this will go on my list of the very best books I've read this year.  I can't imagine listening to it though.  I love reading it. 

Valued Contributor

I finished my cozy mystery, and immediately upon finishing it, picked up "Paper Wife" by Laila Ibrahim. Just completed it minutes ago. This story was very good and ties with "The Storytellers Secret" for my favorite book of this year. pinky

Esteemed Contributor

The last two books that I tried to read were so boring that I did not finish.  The first was Drawing Lessons by Patricia Sands.  She writes books based in Provence and this was about a women who travels there for an art workshop.  Her husband has dementia and the first several chapters were her crying, crying, and crying.  Had to stop reading.

The next book was N. C. Lewis' Murder in the Bookstore.   Did not make it past page 2.

I am now trying to read Summer People by Aaron Stander.  I am not giving this one much hope either.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!