Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? December 2018

@LoriLori 

I finished Once Upon a River (Diane Setterfield) last night.

Although I did have some trouble keeping all the characters straight through the first part of the book, Setterfield did not disappoint.  As I was reading, I noticed how much her writing style reminded me of Thomas Hardy. (I taught The Mayor of Casterbridge to high school seniors for longer than I am willing to admit)

My next read is The Wife (Alafair Burke)   a stunning domestic thriller.

I  made a deal with myself: I can begin this book once the Christmas tree is decorated.  

Respected Contributor

Just finished Abbi Waxman's Other People's Houses and it was such a good book. I also enjoyed her first one too The Garden of Small Beginnings.  Two totally different books which is good since some authors write the same type of book over and over again. 

Onto Only In Key West by Kenneth D. Michaels, a new author for me since I don't read that many male authors or gay genre.   It's a mystery and I needed to read once since I haven't read one recently I don't think.

Honored Contributor

Just finished Sometimes I Lie.....It was very good, but I was so confused at the end that I needed to go online and see what others thought about the ending and what happened......I would read more by Alice Feeney in the future though.....

I am now starting KILLING KATE, By Alex Lake.....It sounds really good, another thriller of course.....

Respected Contributor

New to this topic but excited to share book I just sped through: Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand. Loved. Found out it’s a new trilogy.
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just starting reading Winter in Paradise....interesting so far!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thiis morning I finished Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock, it was a very heartwarming book, but I cried throughout it.  I remember after my Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer, I was talking to him and he mentioned that he went to the grocery store and had to use one of those motorized scooters to get around as he could no longer walk, and then he needed one of the employees to help load his groceries in the car for him, I immediately started crying,, I asked him why he did not call one of us to help him, we would have been more than happy to help him, but he was ashamed he was losing his independence, and he did not want to bother us.  I never saw his face as our conversation was over the phone, but I could hear the pain in his voice, I still tear up thinking about it all these years later.  Even  though this book was not entirely about this an older woman calls a cab to bring her to her doctor appointments to run errands with her, and an unexpected friendship forms between the woman and the cab driver, it was very heart warming.

I have been a bit lazy about posting all of the books I have read the last few weeks, but one comes to mind, the newest Nicholas Sparks book, it was good, such a romantic story, and it touched my heart, but my friend though it was just an OK book.

This morning  I started Copy Cat by Alex Lake, so far it is pretty good!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Thiis morning I finished Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock, it was a very heartwarming book, but I cried throughout it.  I remember after my Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer, I was talking to him and he mentioned that he went to the grocery store and had to use one of those motorized scooters to get around as he could no longer walk, and then he needed one of the employees to help load his groceries in the car for him, I immediately started crying,, I asked him why he did not call one of us to help him, we would have been more than happy to help him, but he was ashamed he was losing his independence, and he did not want to bother us.  I never saw his face as our conversation was over the phone, but I could hear the pain in his voice, I still tear up thinking about it all these years later.  Even  though this book was not entirely about this an older woman calls a cab to bring her to her doctor appointments to run errands her, and an unexpected friendship forms between the woman and the cab driver, it was very heart warming.

I have been a bit lazy about posting all of the books I have read the last few weeks, but on comes to mind, the newest Nicholas Sparks book, it was good, such a romantic story, and it touched my heart, but my friend though it was just an OK book.

This morning  I started Copy Cat by Alex Lake, so far it is pretty good!

@CareBears. I will have to try to find Catching Christmas, that sounds good. I am crying so much these days....Every commercial, in church, everywhere!!!! I just read Copycat, it was really good, I did figure it out before the ending, but it was still good!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

@LoriLori 

I finished Once Upon a River (Diane Setterfield) last night.

Although I did have some trouble keeping all the characters straight through the first part of the book, Setterfield did not disappoint.  As I was reading, I noticed how much her writing style reminded me of Thomas Hardy. (I taught The Mayor of Casterbridge to high school seniors for longer than I am willing to admit)...

@pateacher  I think you hit on the reason I PTB the first go-round.  A lot to take on board in the beginning.  Starting with the man and the child, they confused me.  But the second time it all clicked and what a wonderful book.

Speaking of wonderful, I so admire those of you who teach English whether to children or seniors.  How awesome of you.  How lucky we are there are several of you.

I never read Hardy, I wish I had.  So many books, so little time.  Books people read in high school I didn't, I have no idea how much flexibility there is in the curricula from teacher to teacher and school to school and school board to school board.  I'd be interested to know, if anyone knows.   

Respected Contributor

Still reading:
Generation Priced Out: Who Gets to Live in the New Urban America, by Randy Shaw. I saw him speak at the Texas Book Festival and his message is so important. I live in Austin, where property values and rents are going sky high and gentrification is pushing out people who have lived here for generations. Shaw talks about some of the cities where prices are getting out of control and discussions solutions that have worked in cities across the US. I'm reading this out of order, having read the first chapter and then skipped to the chapter on Austin.

Just started:

Jackrabbit Smile, by Joe R. Lansdale. I think I picked this up in a recent sale at Audible and didn't realize it was book 12 in a series. I don't think they need to be read in order, but I'm enjoying it enough that I'll pick up book one at some point and see where it goes.

Occasional Contributor

Loved this book! Have read all of the gamache books. And, of course, love a three Pines.