Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? December 2018

@pateacher wrote:

...Up next is Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield.  I really enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale and hope that this book will be just as good.

@LoriLori:  We will have to compare notes on this book!

Happy that you won it on Goodreads!

@pateacher, I LOVED "Once Upon a River."  I gave it a five stars in my review.  I wish I could link to my review but can't because it's Amazon...Anyway why I'm posting this is because the first time I tried it, I pulled the bookmark.  I was bored in the beginning, the first time.  The second time was the charm. That's happened before. 

It's not that much like "Thirteenth Tale," I loved that but I think "Once Upon a River" will be loved by people who didn't enjoy "Thirteenth Tale."

I only wish I had a fireplace and gentle snow falling and a cat or two curled at my feet.  I have none of those but it's that kind of book, I'm sure you and everyone else knows what I mean by that.  

Can't wait to read what you think of it!

Honored Contributor

Welcome to @Sublime Saumya   @sk888888  and  @pinky ann

And Pinky Ann, a hug because you love Frederick Backman...don't know if you read his blog post about the depression, if not and you want me to post a link to it, I will.

To other lurkers:  Sign in!  This is the best forum IMO.  Everyone respects one another, we learn from one another and learn about great books and authors from one another.  Everyone brings the gift of their books and reviews here.  Give us yours!

Valued Contributor

@LoriLoriThanks, I have read the post about Frederick's depression, just couldn't remember who had posted it. The last I'd read of his work was the novella he'd written. It was called " And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer  and Longer". Hope I have it right... I cried at the end, not only the first time I read it, but every time afterward. It seems to draw me at times when I'm sad, but not sure why. Thank you for offering to repost. That was what made me wonder if he would write again. I sooooo hope he will. pinky

Honored Contributor

@pinky ann

Fredrick Backman has written two novellas, the second is called "The Deal of a Lifetime."  It's a Christmas story but not a ho-ho-ho happy tale.  Still its meaningful and IMO beautiful in its own unique way, in his own unique way.  Like the other novella, i have re-read it many times.  My eyes are misting just thinking about it.

There's also "Beartown" and its sequel "Us Against You."  Have you read them? 

No surprise to anyone here, I think "Us Against You" should have won Goodreads Book of the Year for 2018.  It came in third.  

Valued Contributor

@LoriLori 

Lori, Out of the three that you mention, I've only read Beartown. Thanks so much for letting me know there are two more I can read! Yippee! It's ok if the Christmas one isn't so festive or cheery, I just love his work. You're a doll letting me know about them. Thanks again! pinky

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@pinky ann   

Thank you for calling me a doll.  There are those on the tv forum who would probably say if i'm a doll, I'm the Bride of Chucky LOL.

Seriously, I'm just doing what everyone around here does, that's a part of what makes it soooo great on this forum!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been reading a lot of crappy books lately and I didn't finish another one.  Weather Woman by Cai Emmons.  It was sort of like a phenomenon with the character and the weather.  Not sure what I'll read next but I hope it's good.

EDITED:  Decided to read Abbi Waxman's Other People's Houses.  Love her first one and she has a new one coming out in July 2019.   What I like about her books is that she writes about totally different subjects in every book and it's not the same old thing.

Super Contributor

Thanks to last year's recomendations, I read A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote.  I liked it and am giving a copy to my mom this year.  Our Church book club is reading it this month.  It's very short, easy to read; perfect for this busy time of year!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Every Breath, by Nicholas Sparks,

@beckyb1012. This is on my To Read list as well!

I finished it this morning before work.  When I read Nicholas Sparks' note at the end and it reminded me it was a true story I almost broke @CANDLEQUEEN  Got so involved I had forgotten this really took place.  I hope you get it soon.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I just finished Since We Fell by Dennis Lehane.  There is a lot of description of evil people and evil in the world in this book.  Lehane is a good writer though.  The storyline is rather complex, but compelling.