Regular Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? December 2018

I finished:
Leverage in Death by JD Robb - I don't think I read this one fast enough. I know that sounds weird, but that happens to me sometimes.  I get bogged down in the story rather than reading it faster and letting the story flow. I didn't enjoy the crime/mystery part of the book like I have in the rest of the series... It was good, but not great.

Mistletoe in Moonglow by Deborah Garner - I like to read seasonally, but this one was not that great. I wasn't invested in the characters and the story was short.

How the Dukes Stole Christmas, a collection of historical romance novellas by Sarah MacLean, Tessa Dare, Sophie Jordan, and Joanna Shupe - I really liked this one! Each story was really cute and engaging. 

Now I am reading:

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young (audio)

The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory (print)

Once Upon a Texas Christmas by Katherine Garbera (e-book)

Respected Contributor

The Goodreads Choice Awards have been announced and I'm shocked (and disappointed) that the best fiction book is Still Me (Jojo Moyes).  There were so many other good books in contention.  Still Me is pleasant enough but kind of a lightweight.

I was happy to see that Circe (Madeline Miller) won for Best Fantasy, although I would choose it for Best Fiction, period.  Love that book!

Best Thriller was The Outsider.  My favorite book came in second.

Go to Goodreads to check out all the categories.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 Best Audibles also were announced today.

Overall, they chose Heavy by Kiese Laymon (not familiar with it)

but...

they chose Circe as best fiction!  I ended up reading it vs Audible and agree it was great!  I actually downloaded The Odyssey because of it.

Won’t post all of their categories, but they chose The Wife Between Us as best Mystery & Thriller (one I neither read nor listened to - I was psychologically thrillered out this year, but will pick up again in 2019.)

I will comment that the best solo male performance was one that gushed over when I reviewed the book Washington Black by Esi Edugyan. Will be looking for other novels narrated by Dion Graham.

Esteemed Contributor

@pinky ann wrote:

First time posting in this forum. I figured it was about time. I appreciate all the suggestions and reviews everyone posts here, and will add mine now.

I just read " The 13th Gift" by Joanne Huist Smith, her own story about suddenly becoming widowed and  the struggles she meets now as single mom to three kids, with Christmas fast approaching to add just a bit more stress. There's a bit of a mystery the family is trying to figure out, and it really is something that brings the family together. 

It's a heartwarming story, and I really liked it. She writes in a way that you're rooting for this family rather than mourning for them. Hope this makes some sense! lol  Anyway, I hope anyone who may read it will enjoy it.

Also, just started "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. I saw it mentioned here, and it seemed very well received. A few chapters in, and I like it  very much so far. Thanks again to everyone for your all of your posts and recommendations.  pinky

@pinky ann- hi and welcome to our reading board! We have a lot of fun here, plus we get many recommendations for books we might not ordinarily read. Personally I've read several book reviews over the years and from those I've found some of my very favorite books.

Please come back and post whenever you can. It's a pleasure meeting you!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

I am a big time Game of Thrones fan. Have the series with much enthusiasm. I now plan to start with the books this month. I was just postponing all this while because in the books the Jon Snow character is dead. But I do have to read it nonetheless. The details are always better in books I'm told. If I don't like them maybe I'll start with Lord of the Rings. (Yes, I'm one of those who hasn't watched or read LoR.)

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, I loved The Outsider.  I have Circe but I haven’t read it yet.  LM

Contributor

Long-time lurker, but I do enjoy seeing what you folks are reading, and my TBR list grows every time I lurk!

I just wanted to share that I finished The Library Book (in audio) by Susan Orlean, and really REALLY enjoyed it.  I thought it was going to be all about the Los Angeles Library fire, but she covered that and so much more.  I would recommend this book to everyone!

Next up for me will be the new Jack Reacher, Past Tense.  I also liked Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly, a crossover Harry Bosch/Renee Ballard book.  I didn't like the first Ballard book, but this one was much more to my liking.

Thanks, again, everyone - for all the recommendations!

Valued Contributor

@sunalaHi, and thank you for the welcome! I always have enjoyed the recommendations that posters leave here too, as well as the reviews.

The reviews help me decide whether or not I want to give certain authors a try or not, and I love some of the more general topics as well like the ones involving local libraries and especially of late, those mentioning the e-readers like Kindles etc.

I've read every single book by Frederick Backman based solely on posts about his first book, and loved every single one! I'm hoping to see more books from him, but not sure he's still writing.

It's nice to be reading more again, and I look forward to chatting here, as well as learning too. Posters here are great and I'm so glad I took the first step and posted. pinky

Honored Contributor

Every Breath, by Nicholas Sparks,

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Every Breath, by Nicholas Sparks,

@beckyb1012. This is on my To Read list as well!