Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? December 2018

@Alter Ego  I've read that some people really like the audible version (good narrator).    

Honored Contributor

Finished "Killers of the Flower Moon."  Incredible book.  I know, I'm the last one.  My review is the 3,633rd review of it on Amazon.  I feel like the tortoise around here among hares LOL (wonderful hares!).

Martin Scorsese bought the film rights.  I think it will a tough book to adapt and I hope with all my heart he will make a film worthy of all of those who lost their lives and loved ones, and their survivors.

Valued Contributor

@beckyb1012 Started a few minutes ago! Grave digging is an unusual and attention getting opener!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22, please help!  Amazon and Book Depository UK (where it's in paperback and on sale) have one version that's "The 7 Deaths" and another that's "The 7 1/2 Deaths."  Do you know the difference?

ETA:  I bought it from Book Depository UK.  Owned by Amazon, they always pull a paperback published elsewhere when it's only available in hardcover in the U.S.  But sometimes they slip up.  They slipped up here!  I got it for  almost half the cost on Amazon --  so if I'm missing half a death, so be it LOL.

Trusted Contributor

Eggs Benedict Arnold by Laura Childs

The Late Bloomers Club by Louise Miller

Death of an Honest Man by MC Beaton (Just starting this one.)  

After Anna by Lisa Scottoline

A Dickens of A Crime by Phyllis H. Moore (Meg Miller Cozy Mystery #1)

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22, please help!  Amazon and Book Depository UK (where it's in paperback and on sale) have one version that's "The 7 Deaths" and another that's "The 7 1/2 Deaths."  Do you know the difference?

ETA:  I bought it from Book Depository UK.  Owned by Amazon, they always pull a paperback published elsewhere when it's only available in hardcover in the U.S.  But sometimes they slip up.  They slipped up here!  I got it for  almost half the cost on Amazon --  so if I'm missing half a death, so be it LOL.

@LoriLoriThe UK version was called The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.  Then when it was going to be released in the US they decided it sounded too much like another book, The 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. So they added the 1/2.  I think it makes the book sound more intriguing but it's the same book.  You won't be missing half a death,  lol.  I read both books and they are nothing alike.  You can skip Evelyn Hugo.  I'll be interested to hear your review of Evelyn Hardcastle. 

Valued Contributor

First time posting in this forum. I figured it was about time. I appreciate all the suggestions and reviews everyone posts here, and will add mine now.

I just read " The 13th Gift" by Joanne Huist Smith, her own story about suddenly becoming widowed and  the struggles she meets now as single mom to three kids, with Christmas fast approaching to add just a bit more stress. There's a bit of a mystery the family is trying to figure out, and it really is something that brings the family together. 

It's a heartwarming story, and I really liked it. She writes in a way that you're rooting for this family rather than mourning for them. Hope this makes some sense! lol  Anyway, I hope anyone who may read it will enjoy it.

Also, just started "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. I saw it mentioned here, and it seemed very well received. A few chapters in, and I like it  very much so far. Thanks again to everyone for your all of your posts and recommendations.  pinky

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the thread, @pinky ann.  I just finished WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING.  It was a very good read.  

Up next is VIRGIL WANDER by Leif Enger and then FIND HER by Lisa Gardner.  I had really enjoyed Enger’s first book, PEACE LIKE A RIVER.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, I just finished Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny.  I thought this book was well done.  She has several of story lines going on at the same time, all complex, yet not confusing to the reader.  I was able to guess correctly one of the story lines but I continued to question my guess as the narrative unfolded.

This book is just over 300 pages which is short for Louise Penny.  Anyone who thought her books were too long previously will not feel that way about this one.  I think @Judaline should read this one for reasons I will not comment on until later.

For me, reading Louise Penny’s books is a bit like peeling the layers of an onion.  The story unfolds in a way that reels you in.  I think her fans will enjoy this read.  I did.  LM

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm reading a book of essays, "Impossible Owls" by Brian Phillips.  I don't usually read essays and I never heard of him but thank you, Amazon emails trying to sell me stuff because this book is great. 

He's a great writer and the essays are informative and funny.  The first one is on the Iditarod and I'm learning about the race and stuff I didn't know about Alaska, and I'm laughing all the way.