Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- December 2015

@suzycue wrote:

I am reading "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante.  It is the first in a trilogy and was on the best reads list on NPR. 

I've read the trilogy, suzycue, and really enjoyed it.

I think it gives a good picture how childhood friends can grow in vastly different directions but maintain their friendship.

Valued Contributor

I am reading absolutely NOTHING right now!  My house looks as though a Christmas tornado has blown through,  I am trying to finish cards, bake, wrap, and decorate all at the same time and achieving very little.  Good thing my family cannot get together until January 1.  I just may be able to check everything off my list by then.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Smoky, Judaline, and Lilysmom, I am the one who recommended Robert Crais' book, "SUSPECT." I hope you liked it. Scott and Maggie return in his new book, "THE PROMISE", along with Crais' usual characters of Elvis Cole, the wise-cracking detective, and his literally silent partner, Joe Pike. I like Robert Crais' writing very much. The first book in his Elvis Cole series is called "THE MONKEY'S RAINCOAT." If you are a fan of David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series, I find Robert Crais' writing somewhat similar -- lots of humor. "SUSPECT" was not humorous, but his Elvis Cole books are usually very funny.
Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:
Hi Smoky, Judaline, and Lilysmom, I am the one who recommended Robert Crais' book, "SUSPECT." I hope you liked it. Scott and Maggie return in his new book, "THE PROMISE", along with Crais' usual characters of Elvis Cole, the wise-cracking detective, and his literally silent partner, Joe Pike. I like Robert Crais' writing very much. The first book in his Elvis Cole series is called "THE MONKEY'S RAINCOAT." If you are a fan of David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series, I find Robert Crais' writing somewhat similar -- lots of humor. "SUSPECT" was not humorous, but his Elvis Cole books are usually very funny.

@dawg lover I should have remembered you were the one to recommend Suspect.  You always have such great suggestions.  Thanks for the additional information.  I'm going to look for The Monkey's Raincoat.  The title already sounds good.  Do you recommend reading The Promise first or doesn't it matter?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let's see what happens to the name ****** Van ******. He is celebrating his 90th birthday. He is amazing, isn't he? 

Edited to add: LOL see what happened? His name is a shadow of its former self hahahahha! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Let's see what happens to the name ****** Van ******. He is celebrating his 90th birthday. He is amazing, isn't he? 

Edited to add: LOL see what happened? His name is a shadow of its former self hahahahha! 

Haha, funny!  I can't believe they starred part of his last name!  dumb.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

@dawg lover I have to ask: does the dog die in Promise? I must know. And are there any of his old books with a dog?

lily, I'm here for ya.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

Well, since my other favorite character, Alex McKnight seems to be gone, (author couldn't find a publisher) I plan to switch to the Alex Cole novels-there have been a lot of complimentary remarks about these, here. Tell me again if the dog dies in the new one if you know. I wouldn't want you to go to the end of the book and find out-just if you know. I love Maggie so much. I just wouldn't put myself thru that. 

Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

@suzycue wrote:

I am reading "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante.  It is the first in a trilogy and was on the best reads list on NPR. 

I've read the trilogy, suzycue, and really enjoyed it.

I think it gives a good picture how childhood friends can grow in vastly different directions but maintain their friendship.

There are four books not three.  I just started #4 a couple of days ago.  I have so enjoyed this series.  Look for the last one when you can.

Product Details

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@dawg lover I have to ask: does the dog die in Promise? I must know. And are there any of his old books with a dog?

lily, I'm here for ya.

@Judaline, Thanks Jud.