Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- December 2015

@smokymtngal wrote:

I finally read Oryx and Crake (Margaret Atwood).  I've been meaning to read it for years.  It's bleak, but brilliant.  I liked it better than The Handmaid's Tale, which I found really depressing.  Now I have to read the other two books in the Maddaddam trilogy.

@smoky22, I find Margaret Atwood too depressing.  I gave up on her a long time ago. Probably my loss.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I am 80% through YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN by Jean Hanff Korelitz.  It is about a therapist who wants to share her knowledge about listening to your inner voice when you find your life partner.  Her premise is that we all know what we are getting into but we suppress the knowledge in search of the right match.  Then, her own marriage completely falls apart and she is forced into the position of many of those she has counseled.

The storyline of this book did not grab me but the book is really quite good. No idea how it will end but I read 3/4 of it in one day.. One of those lazy days between Christmas and the new year.

Chexk it out in Goodreads.  I tried unsuccessfully to copy and paste.

Happy New Year reading friends and thank you to all of you for great reading recommendations and to Lainey for keeping us in touch each month.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

I really liked that book also. 

Regular Contributor

My last book of 2015 was The Dogs of Christmas by W. Bruce Cameron.  It was cute, but not the best book of the year...

Respected Contributor

Taday I finished The Babes in the Woods (Ruth Rendell).  I do love the way she has Inspector Wexford reflect on so many things that make up the human condition.  The plots are another thing, however.  I found some of this a little far fetched and yet oddly compelling.  She is a brilliant writer.

Earlier in the week I finished two other books.  The Boy In The Suitcase (Lene Kaaberbol) the first in the Nina Borg series.  I found it to be just ok. 

The Monkey's Raincoat (Robert Crais) the first in the Elvis Cole series.  He's a Vietnam vet, ex security guard, and now a hard boiled, wise cracking private detective (witty dialogue). The author used to be a script writer, for shows like Miami Vice, and it shows.  I'm looking forward to more of these.  

Super Contributor

I love that series!  It might be time, for me too, to re-read!