Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- December 2015

I'm reading a couple of books in genres I don't normally read.  I finished "The Black-Eyed Blonde:  A Philip Marlowe Novel" by Benjamin Black (pen name of John Banville).  Since I had never read any of Raymond Chandler's books, I can't say how well Banville did in recreating the character.  The flyleaf said:  "Marlowe is as restless and lonely as ever,"  That pretty much summed up my reaction to the story -- it just left me feeling sad and dreary.  I've never thought I'd be a "detective noir" fan and this book didn't change my mind.  Verdict:  Grim.

Now I'm reading "Hissing Cousins:  The Untold Story of Eleanor Roosevelt and Alice Roosevelt Longworth" by Marc Peyser and Timothy Dwyer.  The very large Roosevelt family was just full of dysfunctional relationships which somehow shaped two very different women into people who stood out nationally in an age where women mostly blended into their backgrounds. 

Eleanor was a Roosevelt even before she married FDR, and "Princess Alice" was determined not to be eclipsed even by her father Teddy's exploits.  I'm about one quarter of the way through the book.  Verdict so far:  Intelligent and lively writing which gives depth to the subjects.  Recommended if you like biography and have any interest in the period.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori here's your review of Slade House. I absolutely loved it.  I don't normally read scary books (well, not since We Have Always Lived In The Castle) but this was so well written.  It's not necessary to have read the Bone Clocks to enjoy this one, but if you did read it and liked it, you will probably like this one, too.  One of the reviews called it diabolically entertaining, a smart, spooky thrill ride.  I whole heartedly agree.  It was a real page turner for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit I really liked The Black Eyed Blonde. Thanks for reminding me-I'm going to look for more of these. I had never, and I'm ashamed to admit it, read Raymond Chandler either-my dad always had one around as I remember. I also read a Mike Hammer a couple years ago, not really written by Mike Hammer, like this one. It was good, too, whatever it was.

Honored Contributor

Also, I am now reading Good Night, Mr. Wodehouse by my fave Faith Sullivan. Now I know his name, have heard it lots of times, but I have never read anything by him. So I looked him up-oh, my, all the quotes,etc. My brain could never handle it because I'd be writing them all down and wanting to use them. hahaha Not at this time in my life-just couldn't take it all in. Anybody here read him?

Honored Contributor

@smoky22, thanks, I will order that book now!  I got burned on "House of Leaves", one of the worst books I've ever read, and this has been mentioned as being like that...now I know it can't be because you would never like "House of Leaves", i can't imagine who does.

After I finish the 800-page book I'm reading I will definitely get this.  The book on the Holocaust could take me months, it is dense and packed with facts.  And terrifyingly relevant.

Respected Contributor

Amazing Grace by Steve Turner/ foreward by Judy Collins Historical I just started it , but remember hearing Judy Collins being interviewed about it sometime past (she has passed also). I am thinking of giving a hard copy to a music lover in my life for Christmas. It was available for Kindle at my library. It is interesting .

Trusted Contributor

judaline wrote:

Also, I am now reading Good Night, Mr. Wodehouse by my fave Faith Sullivan. .... Anybody here read him?

@Judaline, If you asking if anyone has read P. G. Wodehouse, yes, I have a couple of shelves of his books.  His brand of humor appeals to me in the same way the British Comedy shows on PBS do.  Probably "Jeeves and Wooster" are his best-known characters, but he has many.  A lot of them recur from book to book, but they aren't in a series (so far as I know, anyhow).  They're purely for fun.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori I'm pretty sure Slade House will be a lot easier to read than House of Leaves.  I looked it up and was immediately put off by the length (and your review, of course).  I hope you like Slade House.  I thought it was fun.

Right now I'm in the middle of The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine (the latest in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency).  It's very enjoyable.  

I just started Harm Done (the 18th Inspector Wexford).  I really admire Ruth Rendell's writing style.   Her books are getting longer and more complex.

I tried to read Last Bus To Wisdom (Ivan Doig).  I actually read half of it and skimmed to the end.  It has mainly 5 star reviews on Amazon but I just did not find it interesting and wish I would have given up on it sooner.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit Thanks.

Super Contributor

Just finished "Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania" by Erik Larson and have started "The Museum of Extraordinary Things" by Alice Hoffman.  Didn't like The Dovekeepers, but this seems to be very different from that book so I'm giving her another chance. 

Also read "The Girl in the Spider's Web", the fourth book about Lisabeth Salander (the girl with the dragon tattoo) by a new author, David Lagercrantz.  Enjoyed the book but wanted more of Lisabeth's character.