Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? DECEMBER 2019

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, I finished reading Know My Name by Chanel Miller. (5 Stars)

This is a memoir of her assault (and the legal results) by Brock Turner on January 17, 2015 while attending a frat party with her sister at Stanford. She was known as Emily Doe in legal records, to the public and media, family and friends. Her unwavering strength, compassion and quiet sensibilities are a testament to her inner power, anguish, resilience, humor, strength in caring for family and friends . . . and others in her situation. She's an amazing woman!

Chanel Miller was a writer before Turner assaulted her, but her book introduces the world to an extraordinary author; one whose experiences and words have changed the legal system, universities and world forever. She includes comments from women who have been through similar experiences and the Me To movement.

Yet, she really wanted truth, justice and an apology. She never received an apology from Brook Turner, the privileged swimmer. Instead, he and the Judge lost everything in the end. KARMA.  

This is not a pleasure read. It is a difficult read in many places as she suffers the emotional, mental and social after-effects and the legal system. Too often again and again, having to prove she was the victim. It is, however, a book to share with friends and relatives. It is an excellent must-read. 

ETA: An Index at the back of the book would have been helpful listing references to outstanding quotes within this book by others. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@Judaline - I finished Paula Munier's "A BORROWING OF BONES."  I would say it's good, but not great.  It was a little slow in places, and the heroine took unrealistic risks.  It reminded me of the Margaret Mizushima books, but it was not as good, IMO.  There were no dog deaths, you'll be glad to know!  I'm on a wait list for her second book, and I'll give that one a try.  Sometimes, an author's second book is when they hit their stride.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

@Judaline - I finished Paula Munier's "A BORROWING OF BONES."  I would say it's good, but not great.  It was a little slow in places, and the heroine took unrealistic risks.  It reminded me of the Margaret Mizushima books, but it was not as good, IMO.  There were no dog deaths, you'll be glad to know!  I'm on a wait list for her second book, and I'll give that one a try.  Sometimes, an author's second book is when they hit their stride.

@dawg lover  I don't know. I'm reading the second one and it's already slow, just beginning it! Plus, too many characters, suspects. I loved everything by Agatha Christie, but can't do this suspect thing anymore. I need action from the start to keep me reading! The last couple books I read were just that. I don't know about this one-may PTBM. I've been pretty exhausted this week so that may be partly why I don't want something that doesn't interest me. (you are one fast reader!!!)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow.  The cover art is gorgeous and the whole book invites a comparison to The Starless Sea.  This one comes off better, for me.  It isn't as rambling and the language is just as beautiful.  The magic in Erin Morgenstern's book seemed more like it was written strictly for effect.  This one felt like it came from the heart.  The heroine and other characters (including her faithful dog) come alive on the pages.  I really enjoyed it, even though Fantasy is not a usual genre for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Odd Child Out by Gilly MacMillan. I enjoyed it!

Not sure what is up next but will post when I finish!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears wrote:

@dmod nj  I am a HUGE fan of her books, her beach books are published in a sequence but IMO they can be started anywhere without reading them in order but I have read EVERY book she has written and could not tell you a favorite one as I have loved them all!  She writes a new winter story every year, and I always end the read with a warm fuzzy feeling inside, they are so magical!

@CareBears  I finished Snowflakes and Coffee Cakes.  I LOVED it!   I am reading Snow Deer and Cocoa Cheer. Loving it, too.  After that, on to First Flurries.  

They are magical!  They are like a warm cozy hug, sitting next to a fire,  on a snowy evening.  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Hopeless Game, Book 4 of the Hope Walker mysteries by Daniel Carson.  This is a really good series, and this book had lots of twists and turns.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj   Her books are very special, her beach books are good too!

Honored Contributor

The Wonderful,  by Saskia Sarginson;

The Wicked Redhead, by Beatriz Williams;

The Memory House, by Rachel Hauck.                                      

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I just finished Touched by the Sun: My friendship with Jackie by Carly Simon. A little about Jackie and a LOT about Carly and her getting a few mean digs in on people. I was surprised because I expected way more from her because she wrote a few wonderful songs. She should stick to songs. Wow...mean girl. IMHO.