Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? DECEMBER 2019

@sunala  Oh you guys got  to have some fun! For years I worked 11-7, we still made Xmas fun, even when hubby was laid off and we were doing double shifts and he was working 2 jobs, we had some fun and presents. I love Xmas and that's just us. Now as we are older,  we still carry on with fun even if our relatives are busy,it's just the two of us having fun.! Just me ! I do hope you and hubby feel better,we had it last year no fun!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read The Girl in Red by Christina Henry, billed as sort of a post apocalyptic Red Riding Hood.  I would say very loosely based on it.  It struck me as more of a YA book, although it's not described that way.  I thought it was just average.       

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading My Sister The Serial Killer.  It is different!  LM

Update: just finished this today.  It was a quirky kind of book and I enjoyed it.  It was only 234 pages long and I think that was just the right length for this story.  Some authors don't know when to quit but this one does.  Good stuff!  LM

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Twisted Twenty-six by Janet Evanovich.  I thought it was a cut above the last few in this series.  It is not as wacky and stupid, but had a better plot and flow.  I actually liked it a lot.  Parts were laugh outloud funny.  I recommend it.  

Trusted Contributor

I am reading a terrific book right now! "This Was Not The Plan" by Cristina Alger. It is about a widower raising his 5 year old son. I just finished "The Darlings" by the same author. I really enjoyed that one as well!
"TWNTP" 5 stars (one of my favs of the year)
"TD" 4 stars. Just my opinion, of course, LOL!
Honored Contributor

@CareBears  I have the flu too and it's been...wishing you a speedy recovery, good health, happiness and prosperity Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

Yay, I'm reading one of MY books.  It's Himself by Jess Kidd.

She's an Irish writer and you writes beautifully and with a lilt that is just lovely.  It has magical realism.  About a man whose mother gave him up to an orphanage and he returns to the village of his birth to learn what he can.  It's full of great characters...living and dead because he and many others can see the dead.  It's charming, not scary, and I love the Irish setting.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori  My husbands jobs will not allow any time off so everybody is having to work sick, so it just keeps going around and around, and my husband always shares with me, lucky me and I had my flu shot, still did not save me sadly!  Hope you feel better too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori  My husbands jobs will not allow any time off so everybody is having to work sick, so it just keeps going around and around, and my husband always shares with me, lucky me and I had my flu shot, still did not save me sadly!  Hope you feel better too!

@LoriLori Feel better.  I never get the flu shot and I've been fine for years.

Did you see my post re Food For Rabbits?

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to Akin by Emma Donoghue - just days before he embarks on his first trip back to his boyhood home in Nice, 79 year old Noah gets a call that he is the only relative available to take care of his nephew's 11 year old son. I really liked Noah - a former professor, he would constantly comment on things they would see in their travels (which I found very interesting.) Not being around children much, I found the interactions with the boy sometimes very annoying, but I guess they may have an air of realism to them.  I assume many people wouldn't like that part of the book, so can't recommend.  But I didn't dislike it and am happy I finally listened to it as I had it for a few months.

I have Such A Fun Age coming in five days, so am spending the remainder of the year listening to a free Christmas Audible and podcasts (when not listening to Christmas music, that is!)

@LoriLori  I haven't read any other Denise Mina books - since I usually listen to them, I don't really get to read as many books as others here and I tend to stick to newer releases unless an author moves me so much that I want to read everything they've ever written!

P.S.  I just saw a preview for a new movie based on the book The Woman In The Window.  Stars Amy Adams.  Since I don't remember how it ended, I will definitely be going to see that.  In May, I think.