Trusted Contributor

Re: ~~What Are You Reading? JULY 2017~~

I have Margaret Maron's new book on hold at the library @SWEET. I loved her Deborah Knott series and hated it came to an end. I can't wait to read this one! 

You might be interested in her earlier books. 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I just finished The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley (Hannah Tinti) and can't say enough about it.  It's unpredictable, skillfully constructed, and beautifully written.  This book is like eating dessert, don't rush it, just enjoy the rich, complex layers. One of my favorite books this year.     

Now I'm on to Magpie Murders (Anthony Horowitz).

@smoky22

I am 3/4th the way through The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley.  I am enjoying it but it is not what I expected.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

I have Margaret Maron's new book on hold at the library @SWEET. I loved her Deborah Knott series and hated it came to an end. I can't wait to read this one! 

You might be interested in her earlier books. 

I didn't think the book in this series was anything special.  Not sure if I want to read any more in the series or her others.  I've read a lot of new authors thanks to Goodreads wins, LibraryThing wins, and others and some authors I want to continue to read and others I don't.  It's just a nice change to read a new author.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

I just finished The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley (Hannah Tinti) and can't say enough about it.  It's unpredictable, skillfully constructed, and beautifully written.  This book is like eating dessert, don't rush it, just enjoy the rich, complex layers. One of my favorite books this year.     

Now I'm on to Magpie Murders (Anthony Horowitz).

@smoky22

I am 3/4th the way through The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley.  I am enjoying it but it is not what I expected.  

@DiAnne   It wasn't what I expected, either.  And that was a pleasant surprise.  There are so many books out there that are just plain ordinary, no heart and soul to them.  I thought this one was refreshingly original.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished listening to "The Identicals" by Elin Hilderbrand, based on the positive comments on the thread about the author. I don't think I've read anything else by the author.

It wasn't as light as I thought it would be based on some reviews, but I did enjoy the travelogue.  Made me want to go to the locations mentioned and eat the great food!  I didn't find the two sisters particularly likable (in particular, Tabatha, who, IMO did something that was pretty unforgivable.) But, it was a good story and happy I "read" it.

Reviewing the audio- there is one narrator and she does a fine job.  The narrative of the book itself doesn't play nice with audio, however.  Fine to read, but annoying to listen to.  There are many long passages of "", he said and "", she said and "", he said. Many many long passages.  

Think in going to listen to "The Breakdown" next.  Considering I wasn't a fan of the last B.A. Paris novel, will be interesting to see if I like this one.  

Trusted Contributor

her sister's shoes by Ashley Farley (The title is actually lower case and it's killing me!) 

First book in the Sweeney Sisters series. I liked it. Has anyone else read this author? 

Next in series is lowcountry stranger.

Honored Contributor

Lost and Found Sisters, by Jill Shalvis;

An Elegant Facade, by Kristi Ann Hunter;

After A Fashion, by Jen Turano;

In Good Company, by Jen Turano

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I just finished listening to "The Identicals" by Elin Hilderbrand, based on the positive comments on the thread about the author. I don't think I've read anything else by the author.

It wasn't as light as I thought it would be based on some reviews, but I did enjoy the travelogue.  Made me want to go to the locations mentioned and eat the great food!  I didn't find the two sisters particularly likable (in particular, Tabatha, who, IMO did something that was pretty unforgivable.) But, it was a good story and happy I "read" it.

Reviewing the audio- there is one narrator and she does a fine job.  The narrative of the book itself doesn't play nice with audio, however.  Fine to read, but annoying to listen to.  There are many long passages of "", he said and "", she said and "", he said. Many many long passages.  

Think in going to listen to "The Breakdown" next.  Considering I wasn't a fan of the last B.A. Paris novel, will be interesting to see if I like this one.  

I'm reading THE IDENTICALS, too, @Alter Ego.  What's keeping me going is the appealing locales.  

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Please note that this thread for July is closed for posting.

Please see the August 2017 thread for the latest posts!

Happy reading and enjoy!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett