Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

[ Edited ]

UhhhhOhhhhh......I skipped work today to read THE KIND WORTH KILLING.  Wow, what a book.  I literally could not put it down!  I bought it one day from Amazon when it was $1.99 and have had it on my Kindle for so many weeks but I kept getting books on hold from the Library and couldn't get to it.  Finally!  I agree with everyone else - I really enjoyed it!

Honored Contributor

I just finished Crazy Rich Asians - first novel by Kevin Kwan.  I don't think it was the best book I have ever read but I enjoyed it.  It left me wondering how much of this is true...

I have The Kind Worth Killing waiting for me to pick-up at library tomorrow. 

Respected Contributor

Well, at the suggestion of many posters, I sat out by the pool yesterday with a pitcher of sweet tea, a bag of Pepperidge Farm cookies and THE KIND WORTH KILLING. By dinner time I had finished all three........

Very easy, fun read. I couldn't help but wonder if it was written with an eye toward the big screen. Between the characters, the New England location, the time of year and the plot, it could be a very good movie.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, it would make a great movie. Who should play the leads? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lynneuk wrote:

LYNN----I am sooooo bad at this. I did not miss my calling when I didn't become a teacher or a casting director.

Just to be a good sport (and because making a fool of myself is second nature) I will say.........Miranda---Angelina Jolie,   Ted---George Clooney,     Lily---Natalie Portman

Brad----Denzel Washington

What do you think ? I mean what are your choices ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wish I had more time to read but "The Husband's Secret" is providing the perfect distraction for me from real life.

And I am not giving up on the sub-forum, Sunala fought too hard and too long in the old boards to give up so here again, and the more cluttered this place gets the more we need it.

So if you  haven't already, please make your thoughts known by clicking on this link and posting your opinion:

PLEASE MODS WE NEED A SEPARATE BOOK FORUM PLEASE PLEASE

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@Lynneuk wrote:

LYNN----I am sooooo bad at this. I did not miss my calling when I didn't become a teacher or a casting director.

Just to be a good sport (and because making a fool of myself is second nature) I will say.........Miranda---Angelina Jolie,   Ted---George Clooney,     Lily---Natalie Portman

Hi Danky,

Guess I'm in the minority. I read about 1/4 of The Kind Worth Killing and PTBM. Just because it isn't the kind of murder mystery I wanted. I wanted more of a thriller that starts right out with a bang. Plus, I had seen Stangers on a Train umpteen times so I knew where the book was going. Good book probably, not what I wanted. I thought Serena would make a good movie-wrong. Good movie, but the whole thing didn't come off. No oooomph. It was quite a book that stayed with me-the movie fell flat.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

JUD ! Hi, sweetie girl ...... I didn't think THE KIND---- was a great book. It was like a James Patterson, kill an afternoon read. I was surprised when the first murder took place,however.

I have a self imposed rule. If I start a book, I must finish it. I have "obeyed " that rule for my entire adult life EXCEPT for one book---The World According To Garp which I thought was unreadable. Tried , with the exclusion of all other books, for about 6 months and just could not do it. It may still be under the bed where I finally shoved it....LOL

I thought the book/ movie thing did not work with Gone Girl. I liked the book but the movie was a snore-fest. 

Respected Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@Lynneuk wrote:

Danky, I'm not Lynne, but I thought you made really interesting choices for actors.  I'm much worse at casting than you are, but I would have chosen actors that are a little younger.  Don't ask me who, though.  And once I start a book, I usually finish it, too, or at least skim it to the end.

Judaline, I'm surprised you gave it up.  There has hardly ever been a book that I couldn't just put down and pick up again later, but this was one that I couldn't stop reading. 

Respected Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@Lynneuk wrote:

Danky, I'm not Lynne, but I thought you made really interesting choices for actors.  I'm much worse at casting than you are, but I would have chosen actors that are a little younger.  Don't ask me who, though.  And once I start a book, I usually finish it, too, or at least skim it to the end.

Judaline, I'm surprised you gave it up.  There has hardly ever been a book that I couldn't just put down and pick up again later, but this was one that I couldn't stop reading. 

SMOKY---thanks ! I thought of the age factor, for a nano-second, and then thought "what's the difference?". I agree with you...I couldn't put it down either and thought the writing was very clever. I am trying very hard not to inadvertently post a spoiler but what was your take on the ending....Good for her or not ?