Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

I started Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll. I'm just at the part where bits of the secret is revealed. It didn't grab me as I hoped it will. Maybe it will pick up a bit now. Has anyone read this?

Super Contributor

I was so excited to read it but in retrospect, I could have skipped it. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@lainey1 wrote:

I just finished The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson and enjoyed it. Lots of twists and turns!  Thanks Lynneuk for the recommendation!

Now I'm starting Twisted by Andrew E. Kaufman - recommended by Big Sister.

Lainey, Twisted sounds good.  Come back and let us know what you think!  LM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finished Twisted and I know I'm probably in the minority, based on the Amazon reviews. I'm really on the fence about this book. The storyline was interesting, but it seemed to drag out and become repetitive after a while. It does give you an inside look at mental illness. I would give it 3 stars out of 5. 

Now I'm going to read Shattered Secrets by Karen Harper.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pateacher wrote:

I just finished Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica.  It's a page-turner with many twists.

I found this on the new shelf at the library and I'm just about to start it, so happy to hear it's a good read Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@RubyinNE wrote:

Loved Pretty Baby!  Have you read her first book?

I read another by the author, I think it was The Good Girl.  It was a long time ago.

I am now reading The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler.  If you are interested in carnivals and freak show attractions ala The Museum of Extraordinary Things, The Night Circus, and Church of Marvels, enjoy Swyler's book.

Valued Contributor

I am reading Tami Hoag's 9th Girl.  It is certainly keeping me from getting sleep at night. Can't put it down.  Wish I knew how to put up a picture of the book.

Trusted Contributor

I just finished Rising Tides by Emilie Richards. It's the sequel to the book Iron Lace. She always tells a pretty good family story with some twists and turns. It's set in Louisiana  which I enjoyed as I am familiar with the area.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I am reading Tami Hoag's 9th Girl.  It is certainly keeping me from getting sleep at night. Can't put it down.  Wish I knew how to put up a picture of the book.

I use google chrome so most of the time it just lets me click on the picture and copy it.    I like books that keep you reading.  

Valued Contributor

I got the title of the book wrong.  It is called Cold Cold Heart, but it's still by Tami Hoag. I think the previous book was 9th Girl, which I haven't read.  

Frequent Contributor

I just finished PRETTY BABY and thought it was excellent - could not put it down.  I read her first book GOOD GIRL and liked it but thought this book was much better.  Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:

She sees the teenage girl on the train platform, standing in the pouring rain, clutching an infant in her arms. She boards a train and is whisked away. But she can't get the girl out of her head...

Heidi Wood has always been a charitable woman: she works for a nonprofit, takes in stray cats. Still, her husband and daughter are horrified when Heidi returns home one day with a young woman named Willow and her four-month-old baby in tow. Disheveled and apparently homeless, this girl could be a criminal—or worse. But despite her family's objections, Heidi invites Willow and the baby to take refuge in their home.

Heidi spends the next few days helping Willow get back on her feet, but as clues into Willow's past begin to surface, Heidi is forced to decide how far she's willing to go to help a stranger. What starts as an act of kindness quickly spirals into a story far more twisted than anyone could have anticipated.