Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

I just finished an advance copy of, DARKNESS THE COLOR OF SNOW by THOMAS COBB.  Wow, this is a must-read for all you psychological thriller fans.  The comments state, "...like NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN & SNOW FALLING CEDARS, a haunting, suspenseful and dazzling novel of secrets, corruption, tragedy & vengeance; a crime drama & psychological thriller in which a young cop becomes a focal point for a community's grief & rage in the aftermath of a bizzare accidental death".  This book is due to be released in September.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I just finished an advance copy of, DARKNESS THE COLOR OF SNOW by THOMAS COBB.  Wow, this is a must-read for all you psychological thriller fans.  The comments state, "...like NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN & SNOW FALLING CEDARS, a haunting, suspenseful and dazzling novel of secrets, corruption, tragedy & vengeance; a crime drama & psychological thriller in which a young cop becomes a focal point for a community's grief & rage in the aftermath of a bizzare accidental death".  This book is due to be released in September.  

BornToShop, this sounds good!  I hope this comes up again in Sept.  I'll need a reminder.  Thanks for the advance review. LM

Esteemed Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

I just finished The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson and enjoyed it. Lots of twists and turns!  Thanks Lynneuk for the recommendation!

Now I'm starting Twisted by Andrew E. Kaufman - recommended by Big Sister.

Lainey, Twisted sounds good.  Come back and let us know what you think!  LM

Respected Contributor

O.T.  I'm  not reading anything general right how,but think I'm going to start coloring!! LOL

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Crafty1701 wrote:

The Last Town by Blake Crouch. This is the third book in the Wayward Pines series, which is a Sci FI series. The first two books were recently a mini series on TV, but I kept missing episodes so I decided to read the books.  If you like Sci Fi, I recommend them. I went through the first 2 in about 3 weeks. They are not very long (about 300 pages each) and move pretty quickly. 

@Crafty1701, after you finish the books, you may want to watch the series online. They went in a very different direction on some things, including the ending. Very interesting to see the differences in the ways the stories play out. The TV series softens some characters who were pure evil in the books and turns others into terrorists with bombs. The ending is very different!

Respected Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not?

~ tell us the book genre - is it a mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above!

As always, all posters are welcome here.

------------------------------------------------------
My goodness, it's August...hard to believe.

I'm reading The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson, recommended by several people on the board. So far I like it!

Happy reading all! lainey Heart

Lainey, if you haven't read Peter Swanson's first release; The Girl With A Clock For A Heart, try it.  I posted a few months ago regarding this fabulous new author.  It's great to know there is life beyond James Patterson!  

Honored Contributor

I'm listening to Gulp, by Mary Roach, with Audible and I am reading Inferno, by Dan Brown. I'm really enjoying both of them. Gulp is very enjoyable and Mary Roach always makes seemingly dry science sound so fascinating. Dan Brown books are always a fun ride.

Valued Contributor

I just finished Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica.  It's a page-turner with many twists.

Regular Contributor

I'm still trucking through The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.  Though compelling and a real page-turner, I need something to break up the tragedy.  So I have started Chris Colfer's (of Glee fame) fourth book in his best selling children's series, Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms.

Contributor

I'm reading the whole series of VICTORIA THOMPSON's Gaslight mysteries. I love them. They take place at the end of the 19th century in NYC.