Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

@Danky wrote:

JUD ! Hi, sweetie girl ...... I didn't think THE KIND---- was a great book. It was like a James Patterson, kill an afternoon read. I was surprised when the first murder took place,however.

I have a self imposed rule. If I start a book, I must finish it. I have "obeyed " that rule for my entire adult life EXCEPT for one book---The World According To Garp which I thought was unreadable. Tried , with the exclusion of all other books, for about 6 months and just could not do it. It may still be under the bed where I finally shoved it....LOL

I thought the book/ movie thing did not work with Gone Girl. I liked the book but the movie was a snore-fest. 

Danks, you know when I was a kid, my dad told me to finish every book I started. I adhered to it for most of my life, even when I was miserable reading something. Then one day I thought, daddy, this is wrong. Life is too short and there are so many books I want to read-I haven't read even half the classics yet! I'm sorry, but I'm breaking this rule. And that's what I do now. If I don't like something or it's just not a good fit for me at the moment, back it goes and I try again. And once I find an author, I read everything he ever wrote-and I'm seldom disappointed. Sorry, daddy, but this time I think I am right Smiley Happy Hope you're doing good, Danks. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2f/63/b4/2f63b41449214187cd829280addc8015.jpghttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2f/63/b4/2f63b41449214187cd829280addc8015.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Danky wrote:

SMOKY---thanks ! I thought of the age factor, for a nano-second, and then thought "what's the difference?". I agree with you...I couldn't put it down either and thought the writing was very clever. I am trying very hard not to inadvertently post a spoiler but what was your take on the ending....Good for her or not ?

Danky, I was sort of expecting that last twist.  But I didn't expect it to end there.  I think the author was very clever to have it end there.  We can draw our own conclusion.  I shouldn't say any more.  I thought the book was fabulous.

Valued Contributor

I have discovered Tami Hoag!  I just read Cold Cold Heart and now am reading Down the Darkest Road.  Next is Last Days of the Condor by James Grady and A devil is Waiting by Jack Higgins.  I'm also looking forward to reading Lee Child's book Make Me when it comes out in Sept.  Waiting for Brad Thor's new book (forget the name).  Oh,one more I read is The Escape by David Baldacci.

I've been busy!Woman Happy

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spoiler
SPOILER ALERT!  Well ladies, you didn't ask me but I am certain that she would be arrested and charged with the two murders - Brad's and Chet's - because her father said they were going to bulldoze the whole meadow area which is where the well was located.  I thought that was the author's way of telling us she was going to get what she deserved!
@ smokymtngal wrote:

@Danky wrote:

SMOKY---thanks ! I thought of the age factor, for a nano-second, and then thought "what's the difference?". I agree with you...I couldn't put it down either and thought the writing was very clever. I am trying very hard not to inadvertently post a spoiler but what was your take on the ending....Good for her or not ?

Danky, I was sort of expecting that last twist.  But I didn't expect it to end there.  I think the author was very clever to have it end there.  We can draw our own conclusion.  I shouldn't say any more.  I thought the book was fabulous.

@smokymtngal wrote:

@Danky wrote:

Esteemed Contributor

I don't read as much in summer.  I am hardly ever indoors these days.  Finding it hard to settle into a good book.  To get my feet back in a book, I am now reading VERMILION DRIFT by William Kent Krueger.  I am one third through it and it is quite good.  Storyline follows, source is Good Reads.  LM

PS, Sunny, was it you who put me onto Good Reads?  Just love it?

storyline...

Some nights, Corcoran O'Connor dreams his father's death. William Kent Krueger's gripping tale of suspense begins with a recurring nightmare, a gun, and a wound in the earth so deep and horrific that it has a name, Vermilion Drift. When the Department of Energy puts an underground iron mine on its short list of potential sites for storage of nuclear waste, a barrage of protest erupts in Tamarack County, Minnesota, and Cork is hired as a security consultant. Deep in the mine during his first day on the job, Cork stumbles across a secret room that contains the remains of six murder victims. Five appear to be nearly half a century old;connected to what the media once dubbed "The Vanishings," a series of unsolved disappearances in the summer of 1964, when Cork's father was sheriff in Tamarack County. But the sixth has been dead less than a week. What's worse, two of the bodies;including the most recent victim;were killed using Cork’s own gun, one handed down to him from his father. As Cork searches for answers, he must dig into his own past and that of his father, a well-respected man who harbored a ghastly truth. Time is running out, however. New threats surface, and unless Cork can unravel the tangled thread of clues quickly, more death is sure to come. Vermilion Drift is a powerful novel, filled with all the mystery and suspense for which Krueger has won so many awards. A poignant portrayal of the complexities of family life, it's also a sobering reminder that even those closest to our hearts can house the darkest,and deadliest, of secrets.

Respected Contributor

SAGal, In regard to The Kind Worth Killing, I forgot we could do spoilers. And I don't trust myself to do it properly, so let me just say that what you wrote seems like the most normal outcome.  But, I'm not so sure that the author absolutely intended for us to come to that conclusion.  To me, he really did leave it open. 

Super Contributor

Finished:

The Witness (Nora Roerts) -- My first Nora Roberts book.  It was good for a Summer read.  I'd give it a 4.

The Rumor (Elin Hilderbrand) -- Another very quick read; one day.  A 3.5.

The Stranger (Harlan Coben) -- I didn't like it; should have pulled the bookmark.  A 2.

Just started A Spool Of Blue Thread (Anne Tyler) -- too soon to say -- first couple chapters haven't really "grabbed" me --- so I'll give it a few more.

ENJOYWoman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Finished reading The Kind Worth Killing last night.  It sure kept me reading non-stop.  Til the very last line.  That was the killer..... LOL  Loved it.  Very easy reading and I think I will start on Twisted today.

I like the way Peter Swanson writes.  Maybe I'll get his other book too.

Respected Contributor

JOBRAN--I like the way he writes too.....if I ever get to the library, I may pick up his other book also. 

This morning I started ANOTHER WOMAN by Penny Vincenzi........I know , for the most part, I am reading older books lately but I am trying to clear out some of the 1000+ books that have found their way to my shelves over the years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. I liked it but not the structure chosen by the author.

I started reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, got a third of the way through it, and decided against finishing it. It wasn't bad just not good enough to warrant spending any more of the time allotted to me on earth.

If a book doesn't keep me from what I should be doing or up hours past when I should be asleep in bed, it gets ended early. There are more books than time to read them all so I'm not wasting time on the mediocre.