Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

Just finished The Husband's Secret. I liked it but the author disappointed me in the end. I suppose she felt readers would't like someone getting away with murder. I don't mind if they do, sometimes I'm disappointed when they don't. 

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:
Smoky, that was such a great question that once I saw it, I had to look it up myself! If you google George Baker actor, you will see Wexford (he looks just like I had imagined), and Christopher Ravenscroft actor will show you Burden. I am a few books ahead of you; getting ready to start #10. They are such short books that I have been able to read a book a day. Some are better than others, but overall I am enjoying them.

dawg lover, thanks for the name of the actor.  He does make a good Inspector Wexford.  When I did a search, I found some youtube videos of the Ruth Rendell Mysteries.

I finished No More Dying Then.  I really enjoyed it, evn though everything was wrapped up a little too neatly at the end.  It was interesting now to imagine Christopher Ravenscroft as Mike. 

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Oh, he's a wonderful actor. He reminded me of Jack Hawkins, another favorite. I sure didn't know they made movies of Wexford-looks like PBS? Netflix only has one and the reviews complain there is no ending, or there must be another disc. I don't know what that's about, but I'd love to see one. I saw one on youtube just to see how they'd look-it looks like perfect casting to me. 

judaline, interesting that you should mention Jack Hawkins.  He is how I pictured Inspector Wexford before I looked up George Baker.

Respected Contributor

@Lynneuk wrote:

Yes, George Baker played Wexford. Unfortunately he died in 2011. If you google him and see him interviewed you will see he has a very posh voice. When he played Wexford though he didn't sound quite so posh,lol.

He makes a great Inspector Wexford.  I wish we had more of your programming here.

Trusted Contributor

Smokymytngal, don't know if you have Netflix but if you do there is another series you might enjoy. It is called George Gently, maybe you have already seen it. It is a police/ mystery series set in the '60's. A very good actor plays the lead role.He is an inspector who moves up to the north of England from London after his wife is killed. He thinks he's ready to retire but then a young sgt is assigned to work with him and he needs a lot of guidance,lol!

It moves through the 60's and is very interesting with the changing times etc. There is beautiful scenery too as an added bonus.

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac wrote:

I'm reading a biography about folk legend Pete Seeger. It is completely fascinating!

Pete Seeger was an amazing person. I'm going to look for that biography.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

Oh, he's a wonderful actor. He reminded me of Jack Hawkins, another favorite. I sure didn't know they made movies of Wexford-looks like PBS? Netflix only has one and the reviews complain there is no ending, or there must be another disc. I don't know what that's about, but I'd love to see one. I saw one on youtube just to see how they'd look-it looks like perfect casting to me. 

judaline, interesting that you should mention Jack Hawkins.  He is how I pictured Inspector Wexford before I looked up George Baker.

Really? Jack Hawkins never really got old-I pictured Wexford as a bit older and I really think George Baker is perfect. Funny, but I never pictured Wexford as an actor, which is my specialty, hahaha. Don't know why I didn't. Jack had a wonderful voice and I believe cancer took it away. How cruel.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn..dark dark indeed.  I hated Gone Girl,never finished it.  But I had to get to the end of this despite the dark nastiness of it.  It was a very rough ride of a book for me.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Contributor

I was reading <Outliers>, really great book about success. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@candylion wrote:

I was reading <Outliers>, really great book about success. Smiley Happy

I read Outliers (Malcolm Gladwell) a few years ago.  It was an interesting nonfiction book.