Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

I recently finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. The genre is historical fiction and I really liked it a lot. It tells a parallel story of a young French girl, a young German soldier and their experiences during WWII. 

I got about 2/3 of the way through A Boston Girl by Anita Diamant and finally decided not to waste any more time on it. It's the story of a grandmother telling her granddaughter the story of how she came to be the woman she is today. I wanted so much to like it, but I found the stories so boring and mundane I had to give it up. 

I just finished The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson thanks to reccomendations from this board. It was so good all the way through to the very end. 

I'm now trying to choose between Steven King's Finders Keepers and Mary Kay Andrew's Beach Town which are on opposite ends of the literary spectrum. Decisions, decisions!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

OR---you and JUD , overnight and single handedly, have convinced me to end my adult lifetime rule of " no book goes unfinished" .....the new plan is in effect immediately.....the same philosophy that applies to men. Too many men/books, too little time !

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I just finished Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. I liked it but not the structure chosen by the author.

I started reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, got a third of the way through it, and decided against finishing it. It wasn't bad just not good enough to warrant spending any more of the time allotted to me on earth.

If a book doesn't keep me from what I should be doing or up hours past when I should be asleep in bed, it gets ended early. There are more books than time to read them all so I'm not wasting time on the mediocre. 

OR ~ I read Orphan Train too and really liked it. I would definitely recommend it if someone is considering reading it--very enjoyable. 

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

OR---you and JUD , overnight and single handedly, have convinced me to end my adult lifetime rule of " no book goes unfinished" .....the new plan is in effect immediately.....the same philosophy that applies to men. Too many men/books, too little time !

Good for you. It will set you free. We are no longer in school, it won't be on the test, now you're the decider, you're in charge. A new day, a new Danky.

Respected Contributor

I always used to pride myself on finishing every book I started.

But finally, I have come around to what so many of you have realized long ago: stop wasting your time!

An old dog can be taught a new trick, but it just takes longer.

Regular Contributor

I needed something light after finishing Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee and The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I am now reading, Thrill Me by Susan Mallery.  This book doesn't require tissues or time outs.  And I haven't wanted to throw my kindle at a wall in frustration due to the content of the book.  It's an easy, light read. 

Trusted Contributor

I read U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton. Another winner in this excellent series.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

With my life sort of chaotic, I'm reading lighter things than usual.  Thanks to this forum I found "The Husband's Secret," finished it last night and LOVED it.  The best written chick lit I've ever read.

Today I start "The Hundred-Year House" by Rebecca Makkai, another book I learned of from this forum.

Thank you, Bookies!

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

There ya go, danks. You'll find it makes life a lot less tedious! Reading something you don't like? What's the point? Much better this way. (dunno about the men Smiley Happy)

Respected Contributor

@insomniac wrote:

I always used to pride myself on finishing every book I started.

But finally, I have come around to what so many of you have realized long ago: stop wasting your time!

An old dog can be taught a new trick, but it just takes longer.

I used to be the same way - had to finish a book no matter how bad it was. Then I read sunny's thread one day where she said she "pulled the bookmark" (PTB). And I thought, what? One can do that?  lol

Now if I'm reading something I don't like, I PTB. Life's too short to be reading something you don't enjoy with so many good books out there!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum