Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- August 2015

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not?

~ tell us the book genre - is it a mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above!

As always, all posters are welcome here.

------------------------------------------------------
My goodness, it's August...hard to believe.

I'm reading The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson, recommended by several people on the board. So far I like it!

Happy reading all! lainey Heart

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

[ Edited ]

I read Apparition Island-pretty good. I was always glad to get back to it.

A chilling tale of murder unfolds during a fierce September hurricane on the Maine coast in this haunting story of two deaths mysteriously bound together by the long reach of time. As Hurricane Ivan bears down on the coast, the crew of the Maine Wind retrieves the body of a young woman from the sea. Who is she and how did she die?

I wanted to add-the first page is utterly gross. Thankfully we don't have to endure anything like that again in the whole book, so don't get the wrong idea. I think the author made a big mistake-a lot of people read the first page before they choose a book.

Occasional Contributor

The Last Town by Blake Crouch. This is the third book in the Wayward Pines series, which is a Sci FI series. The first two books were recently a mini series on TV, but I kept missing episodes so I decided to read the books.  If you like Sci Fi, I recommend them. I went through the first 2 in about 3 weeks. They are not very long (about 300 pages each) and move pretty quickly. 

Valued Contributor

I  just started "The Ghost Fields" by Elly Griffiths.  I love her series about Ruth Galloway, an archaeologist who helps to solve modern mysteries with a historical twist. I highly recommend all of her books.

Frequent Contributor

Read 'The Matchmaker" by Elin Hilderbrand a couple of weeks ago. Nice light reading but I have enjoyed some of her other books a bit more. Just finishing Maeve Binchy's 'A Week In Winter', she died shortly after finishing this book. I now have a problem as I have about eight books I bought at our last library sale and don't know which one to start next.I also have a list of some of the authors mentioned on this site. Wish all problems were this minor. Thank you for the recomendations.

Super Contributor

First - thank you Lainey for starting this thread for August - don't know what I'd do without it!  I just finished reading THE TRUTH ACCORDING TO US - A NOVEL.  It takes place during the depression - sort of a family saga but I just wasn't crazy about it - the writing was just not all that great.  I'm giving it 3 stars at Goodreads.

Trusted Contributor

This summer I am reading all of Nancy Thayer and Elin Hildebrand ~ thoroughly enjoying both authors. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do any of you know of an online resource for locating books by searching for a character -- especially older books?  Two of the books I'm trying to find were fiction but both were about historical characters.  One was about Tutankhaton/Tutankhamun and his wife Ankhensenpaaton/ Ankhesenamun; the other was set during the reign of Elizabeth I and featured Sir Philip Sidney and Penelope Rich -- it wasn't restricted to Elizabeth's court, because there was a long sequence about the battle in which Sidney was fatally wounded.

I've tried Good Reads with nothing but frustrating results.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

----

I've just finished A WEEK IN WINTER by Maeve Binchey and MRS.POE by Lynn Cullen which were our Book Club's selections for July and August.  I had never read any of Binchey's books, but I know many people love them.  Since this was her last, I don't know if it was a fair example of her writing style, but I disliked it.  I had the feeling I was reading something in which the author described a bunch of characters she was going to write a book about but never got around to actually making them come to life in a story.  I had high hopes for Mrs. Poe when I first started it -- interesting viewpoint character and lively historical details -- but the more I read, the more depressing the story got. I had the feeling that even the author got tired of the misery and finally just chose the writer's version of PTB, quitting but not concluding.  Not recommended, but if you're a dedicated fan of Mr. Poe, you might enjoy seeing him through Cullen's eyes.

Contributor

I just finished rereading Wonder  by R. J. Palacio.  It is a YA title that I reread to prepare for a book club I will be conducting for some of my students during the upcoming school year.  I would highly recommend it to anyone from about fifth grade through adult.  It is a quick and easy read that makes you laugh and cry - sometimes simultaneously.

Honored Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not?

------------------------------------------------------
My goodness, it's August...hard to believe.

I'm reading The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson, recommended by several people on the board. So far I like it!

Happy reading all! lainey Heart

I just got this-there it was at the library just staring at me. So I picked it up and brought it home. After all the commotion here, this better be good Smiley Happy Usually the ones on the shelf aren't all that, but hey, I have some good recs.