Trusted Contributor

Re: WORST BOOK YOU READ IN 2019

I can't recall any books that I really hated but I did pull the bookmark a couple of chapters into Fleishman Is In Trouble. Just could not get into it at all!
Esteemed Contributor

Without a doubt

WHEN WE LEFT CUBA by Chanel Cleeton

Now, I suppose it's my own fault because I wasn't a fan of the first book in this series.  But, I can't even begin to describe my disappointment in this insipid little novel.  Sounded like there should be excitement and action - former sugar heiress is forced to flee Cuba with her family and becomes a spy sent back to kill Castro (that's not a spoiler; that's a given.) In fact, this character from the first novel was the reason I even read this 2nd one - I wanted HER story.  But there is little espionage.  What there IS is a limp romance between characters that I'm told have chemistry (but don't).  Frustratingly bad, because it could have been so much more to her story.

Frequent Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@ahoymate  I agree with you. I can usually tell if I cannot read a book by page 25. I am sure I did not read many good books that got better. That being said, I did not like Where the Crawdads Sing, and I read it. I thought that most people loved it so I thought it would get better as I read it. It was the worst book I read this year.

Thought it was only me...hated Crawdads, kept waiting for it to get better...never did.
Esteemed Contributor

Books I didn't finish? Two by Randy White. I really wanted to like him because he came highly recommended - similar to other mystery writers - so I was told. I just couldn't finish.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Glass Houses by Louise Penny...got to page 75 and the book was all over the place. I couldn’t follow it so I stopped reading. I tried to hang in there. Onto another one.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

Without a doubt

WHEN WE LEFT CUBA by Chanel Cleeton

Now, I suppose it's my own fault because I wasn't a fan of the first book in this series.  But, I can't even begin to describe my disappointment in this insipid little novel.  Sounded like there should be excitement and action - former sugar heiress is forced to flee Cuba with her family and becomes a spy sent back to kill Castro (that's not a spoiler; that's a given.) In fact, this character from the first novel was the reason I even read this 2nd one - I wanted HER story.  But there is little espionage.  What there IS is a limp romance between characters that I'm told have chemistry (but don't).  Frustratingly bad, because it could have been so much more to her story.

Totally agree.  I didn't read the first one and not sure if that would have helped since I've read series and didn't need to read the others in order.  I think it was too political for me.  She has a new one coming out in 2020 which looks good.  I'll try that one.

Respected Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
I can't recall any books that I really hated but I did pull the bookmark a couple of chapters into Fleishman Is In Trouble. Just could not get into it at all!

That was one of my top books.  I loved it.

Respected Contributor

@kjayr wrote:

@Janey2 wrote:

@ahoymate  I agree with you. I can usually tell if I cannot read a book by page 25. I am sure I did not read many good books that got better. That being said, I did not like Where the Crawdads Sing, and I read it. I thought that most people loved it so I thought it would get better as I read it. It was the worst book I read this year.

Thought it was only me...hated Crawdads, kept waiting for it to get better...never did.

I think this book was over-hyped.  I didn't read it and not for that reason.  It's just not my type of book anyway. 

Respected Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

You can usually tell within a few pages if the book holds your interest or not. Why continue reading a "worst book?"

You may have missed the part of the OP's post where she said she didn't even finish the 5 books she listed.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides.