Honored Contributor

Re: WORST BOOK YOU READ IN 2019

@GenXmuse wrote:

I didn't like "The Life We Bury" though it was well received by others. I did not finish "Goldfinch". I could not get into it at all. 

I hated The LIfe We Bury.  And finisihed it to find out what was going on, it's a mystery.

Contributor

These were all 2 star reads for me. There were a few others that I completely gave up on. I kept with these because they were "supposedly" good reads, but for various reasons fell short for me. There are several non-fiction which is a difficult genre for me.

I AM MALALA
COCOA BEACH by: Beatriz Williams
MAID by: Stephanie Land
THE TATTOOIST OF AUSCHWITZ by: Heather Morris
THREE WOMEN by: Lisa Taddeo
YOU ARE A BADA** by: Jen Sincero
THE FIVE: UNTOLD LIVES OF THE WOMEN KILLED BY JACK THE RIPPER
Respected Contributor

@catlover00 wrote:
These were all 2 star reads for me. There were a few others that I completely gave up on. I kept with these because they were "supposedly" good reads, but for various reasons fell short for me. There are several non-fiction which is a difficult genre for me.

I AM MALALA
COCOA BEACH by: Beatriz Williams
MAID by: Stephanie Land
THE TATTOOIST OF AUSCHWITZ by: Heather Morris
THREE WOMEN by: Lisa Taddeo
YOU ARE A BADA** by: Jen Sincero
THE FIVE: UNTOLD LIVES OF THE WOMEN KILLED BY JACK THE RIPPER

I really enjoy Beatriz Williams books and gave Cocoa Beach 3 stars on GR.

Also enjoyed Maid which I didn't think I would. 

Everyone has different tastes in books.

Contributor

@SWEET
I have several Beatriz Williams books on my to read shelf since historical fiction is my favorite genre. I really expected to like Cocoa Beach but I was very confused the entire time I was reading it. The story just didn't come together for me.

As for MAID, I listened to it on audio. There were so many parts that really angered me. There was one part in particular where she complains because the grocery store doesn't allow her to use her WIC voucher to buy organic milk. It just really rubbed me the wrong way.
Respected Contributor

@catlover00 wrote:
@SWEET
I have several Beatriz Williams books on my to read shelf since historical fiction is my favorite genre. I really expected to like Cocoa Beach but I was very confused the entire time I was reading it. The story just didn't come together for me.

As for MAID, I listened to it on audio. There were so many parts that really angered me. There was one part in particular where she complains because the grocery store doesn't allow her to use her WIC voucher to buy organic milk. It just really rubbed me the wrong way.

I have one or 2 by her that I haven't read yet and one on my shelf too.  I think I liked her earlier books rather than her latest. 
Honored Contributor

So poor kids should have to drink milk with antibiotics and hormones?

Respected Contributor

@SWEET 

I agree with you on The Reckoning.    I couldn't believe Grisham would write that trash.   I did finish it but skipped over as much as I could.  What a waste of time.

His new book The Guardians is much better.I finally read it last week.  I have all of his books in hardback thru auto order on amazon.   They just mail it upon release.   I cancelled that after The Reckoning.  I refused to take any more chances.  I got this last one from the library.

As far as worst book, it's either The Reckoning or The Outsider by Steven King.  Talk about trash.  UGH.  A toss up for sure.

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@SWEET 

I agree with you on The Reckoning.    I couldn't believe Grisham would write that trash.   I did finish it but skipped over as much as I could.  What a waste of time.

His new book The Guardians is much better.I finally read it last week.  I have all of his books in hardback thru auto order on amazon.   They just mail it upon release.   I cancelled that after The Reckoning.  I refused to take any more chances.  I got this last one from the library.

As far as worst book, it's either The Reckoning or The Outsider by Steven King.  Talk about trash.  UGH.  A toss up for sure.

@Bridgegal, good idea re getting John Grisham's books at the library from now on.  He's not getting any better in writing.  I have Camino Island in pb and will give it a try.  Luckily I found it at a Little Free Library and I never buy books anyway. 

Respected Contributor

I used to be an avid reader but find I pretty much do most of my reading online now. I decided I need to get back into reading books this year. I like crime type mysteries so will have to check library.

I fully acknowledge this is petty but I won’t read anything by John Grisham ever since I saw him interviewed and he was very condescending toward the interviewer. This was years ago.