Valued Contributor

Re: WOMAN IN THE CABIN - RUTH WARE

terrible book - complete waste of money - I  didn't  use libraries before this crisis and would be less inclined to do so now  - so I bought it and gave it away - 

Respected Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

terrible book - complete waste of money - I  didn't  use libraries before this crisis and would be less inclined to do so now  - so I bought it and gave it away - 

@coco14 

Glad I decided not to read it and donated it to my Little Free Library.  Luckily, I didn't buy it.  It came from another one. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't remember if I read this book in 2019 or 2018, I do remember not liking it. I just can't deal with woman repeatedly making bad decisions, and that's what I remember from this book.  This was one of two books that I have read by Ruth Ware and I have come to the conclusion that this author was not for me. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I can't remember if I read this book in 2019 or 2018, I do remember not liking it. I just can't deal with woman repeatedly making bad decisions, and that's what I remember from this book.  This was one of two books that I have read by Ruth Ware and I have come to the conclusion that this author was not for me. 

@icezeus 

I have the same feeling.  I have her upcoming book on my to be read list.  I might have to see what the plot is again and might delete it from GR.

Esteemed Contributor

This was the first Ruth Ware book I’ve read and I personally prefer her later books. As noted, it’s really kind of two parts and I prefer the Agatha Christie tone of the first half. The 2nd half? Completely different in tone and style IMO.
Trusted Contributor

I really appreciate these reviews, I think I am going to skip this one.

I did buy The Lying Game, so I hope that will be a good one. 

Esteemed Contributor

One of Ruth Ware's best books IMO is "The Death of Mrs. Westaway."  'Woman in Cabin 10" is my least favorite. I don't know what happened to her writing during that book, but try not to give up on her other novels. They are worth reading. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

One of Ruth Ware's best books IMO is "The Death of Mrs. Westaway."  'Woman in Cabin 10" is my least favorite. I don't know what happened to her writing during that book, but try not to give up on her other novels. They are worth reading. 

I agree. Bad luck that was your first exposure to her writing, but overall she is an exceptional writer. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

I'm late to the party in reading this book and decided to pick it up. Usually not my type of mystery.

I know I'm only on page 30 but does it pick up? She's not even on the ship yet and I'm tired of her whining and being scared of what happened to her already.  Plus I'm not a big reader of British authors due to their way of writing and using British words that I can't "interpret" into English use.

@SWEET- I enjoyed the book and LOVED the ending. That's all I will say about it, because if you've already given up on it, no point in continuing. PS She IS a bit of a whiner lolol

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

I'm late to the party in reading this book and decided to pick it up. Usually not my type of mystery.

I know I'm only on page 30 but does it pick up? She's not even on the ship yet and I'm tired of her whining and being scared of what happened to her already.  Plus I'm not a big reader of British authors due to their way of writing and using British words that I can't "interpret" into English use.

@SWEET- I enjoyed the book and LOVED the ending. That's all I will say about it, because if you've already given up on it, no point in continuing. PS She IS a bit of a whiner lolol

@sunala 

I did give up on it and should have read the ending but I didn't.