Respected Contributor

WOMAN IN THE CABIN - RUTH WARE

I'm late to the party in reading this book and decided to pick it up. Usually not my type of mystery.

I know I'm only on page 30 but does it pick up? She's not even on the ship yet and I'm tired of her whining and being scared of what happened to her already.  Plus I'm not a big reader of British authors due to their way of writing and using British words that I can't "interpret" into English use.

Honored Contributor

Re: WOMAN IN THE CABIN - RUTH WARE

I generally love Ruth Ware, but I have to say this one is my least favorite. I found it dull and kind of "thrown together" but it was an okay read, just wasn't up to par with her others. A lot of other people really liked it though. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I generally love Ruth Ware, but I have to say this one is my least favorite. I found it dull and kind of "thrown together" but it was an okay read, just wasn't up to par with her others. A lot of other people really liked it though. 

@GenXmuse 

That's the consensus I'm getting too.  I usually don't read reviews but on this one I did.  One of my friends said the 1st half was slow but then it picked up. 

I'll probably stop reading it when I get new bookmail today.  I just needed something different to read.

Honored Contributor

For myself I cannot say anything bad about this one due to the fact that I was loaned a copy about 3/4 of the way through our shutdown from a friend. With several weeks into reading my own stash and no library book for weeks this was a blessed gift in a whole stack of books.  I do remember getting a bit tired of the woman.  However, I was happy to have something I had not read many times before.  My friend was even loaning me teenager books her three daughters left behind after moving out and going off on their own.  So Ruth's "Cabin" book was kinda good for me.Woman Surprised

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I was so looking forward to reading this book and was totally disappointed.  I had to make myself finish it -- thinking it had to get better.  It didn't.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

I was so looking forward to reading this book and was totally disappointed.  I had to make myself finish it -- thinking it had to get better.  It didn't.

@judy0330 

I have a feeling that I won't be going back to it and donating it to my Little Free Library instead.

Valued Contributor

@SWEET  I can understand why you didn't like this title, but I hope that you don't give up on Ruth Ware. Her other titles are good.

Respected Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

@SWEET  I can understand why you didn't like this title, but I hope that you don't give up on Ruth Ware. Her other titles are good.

@pateacher 

I have her book One by One that's coming out in September on my tbr list.

Valued Contributor

@SWEET  Me, too!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read this one a while back and thought it was tremendously over-rated. The mystery does ensue, but it was not particularly original and was hardly compelling. I loaned it to a couple of others after I read it and every one of them wanted to know what all the spin was about. Clearly, none of us thought it was anything special.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...