Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SERIES?

The J.D. Robb "In Death.." books. I've read almost every book in the series. J.D. Robb is actually Nora Roberts and I have read many of those books too.
Respected Contributor

@Judaline  So happy you loved that series!  I already purchased those books and will be starting them this week!  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:
The J.D. Robb "In Death.." books. I've read almost every book in the series. J.D. Robb is actually Nora Roberts and I have read many of those books too.

@chrystaltree 

When it comes to her In Death series. I have enjoyed every one that I have read. When it comes to her trilogies some, of have been just "meh" in my opinion.

Her best trilogy so far in my opinion has been Chronicles of the One.

Her best stand alone has been Shelter in Place.  

She is such a proloific writer I have no idea if I will ever make it through all of her books. I can't start a series and read from the beginning to the end, it bores me.  That's why I enoy reading a ton of different series. I read them in order of which they were written but I jump around to different authors. 

Honored Contributor

I love P.D. James, who later became "Baroness James of Holland Park",  on the strength of her brilliant writing, mainly about her Scotland Yard protagonist, Commander Adam Dalgliesh.

A tiny word on P.D. James, she was so admirable.  Her husband, Connor White, came back from his wartime experiences completely traumatized, and was incapacitated in mental institutions while she supported her family in a series of civil service jobs.  I think her debut Dalgliesh novel, set among the prosperous English country house set, was "Cover Her Face",  and the rest is history. 

Dalgliesh is a very complex, appealing detective, with a lot of intellectual interests (he's a published poet),  and almost impossibly high standards for himself.

One of the best in the series is "Shroud for a Nightingale".  A grisly murder among student nurses in a busy teaching hospital outside of London sets off other violent events, and spilling of long-held secrets.  Adam Dalgliesh comes to the nurse's school, and immerses himself in their world to better get a grip on the investigation and stop the mayhem. 

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@Judaline  So happy you loved that series!  I already purchased those books and will be starting them this week!  

Don't be put off by the first couple of pages-kinda grisly! But never again in all 3 books, so happy reading!

Trusted Contributor

I love a good series and have many that others have mentioned.  Here are a couple of good ones that have not yet been mentioned:

Wind River mystery series by Margaret Coel

Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Altine mystery series by Julia Spencer Fleming

Bel Barrett mystery series by Jane Isenberg (about menopause, so funny, but might be hard to find)

Lucy Wayles mysteries by Lydia Adamson (if you like birds and birdwatching)

Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr

Birdwatchers mysteries by Chris Goff

Bob White Birder mystery series by Jan Dunlap (another good series if you like birds and birdwatching)

Trusted Contributor

@WRXtoo wrote:

Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache mysteries  They are more than mysteries and if you haven't read them, you need to try one (in order, of course Smiley Happy).  I've read them over and over, and would love to live in Three Pines and be friends with the characters 

@WRXtoo  I can totally relate to your post.  I have read them all except for the latest only because I can't find it in the paperback version.

I could be very happy living in Three Pines and spending my afternoons at the bistro!  I imagine Reine-Marie looking and dressing like LP herself.

I hope by the time I read and finish The Madness of Crowds that she has come out with a new one.

Obviously, I recommend the series, as well.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

I like so many of the series that have already been mentioned.  Here's a few more that I don't think I saw on this thread:

Laurien Berenson's Dog Show mysteries

Donna Ball has two dog-centered mystery series

Sofie Kelly's Magical Cats mysteries

Laura Levine's Jaine Austen humorous mysteries

Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti mysteries

Susan Wittig Albert's China Bayles mysteries

Dana Stabenow's Alaska mysteries

Viveca Sten's Swedish mysteries

Alexander McCall Smith has several series, both mystery and general fiction.

But I have to say, my favorite series of all is J. D. Robb's Eve Dallas mystery series.  I think there are 54 books so far, and I have all of them.  I've re-read the whole series several times, and I really enjoy them.  Lots of great side characters and witty dialogue.

@dawg lover 

I just love it when I find a good series that can be read more than once.  It speaks volumes (lol) about the writer's skill and ability to develop fascinating characters.   

Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I donated my entire John Sandford collection .... gees.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - I love all of John Sandford's books as well.  Lucas Davenport, Virgil Flowers, Kidd and Luann -- they're all great.

New Contributor

Janey2

This is an EXCELLENT list of books. I copied all series books in order and can't wait to get started on them. You have very good taste!